Video Clips on Websites don't allow Volume adjustments !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (early 2015) MacOS Catalina (December 14/19). Updated to macOS Monterey 12.6.1 (November
On certain websites (e.g. (Apple) NEWS, when I access a provided/offered video clip, there is no option to ADJUST the volume level - only mute is available.
On my MBA (2015 running Catalina's newest iteration) the playback volume is always too high.
Am I missing something in order to "tone down" these volume levels?

Any and all input re a resolution is very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Could you please provide a link to a web page that contains a video you can't adjust the volume for so we can test it?

Reaction score
OP
jmac0408
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (early 2015) MacOS Catalina (December 14/19). Updated to macOS Monterey 12.6.1 (November
Hi usagora:

No, my video clip does NOT show the volume button that appears on your video. But I just now accessed/clicked a double-ended arrow in the top left corner and it opens up to a larger screen with an adjustable volume control !!!
So I will see if this option is available on other sites/video clips in the future to see if that solves the problem.
If it doesn't, what else might you suggest?
Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
Hi usagora:

No, my video clip does NOT show the volume button that appears on your video. But I just now accessed/clicked a double-ended arrow in the top left corner and it opens up to a larger screen with an adjustable volume control !!!
So I will see if this option is available on other sites/video clips in the future to see if that solves the problem.
If it doesn't, what else might you suggest?
Thanks again for your help.

I don't understand. When I click your link, it requests to open Apple News (app), and as soon as Apple News opens, it opens up the webpage with that video. Is this what happens for you? What browser does your video open in (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc.)? I see no "double-ended arrow" on the web page. Perhaps you could show us a screenshot?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've noticed that YouTube videos often have audio that is too inconsistent. One video is to loud and another is too soft. This is of course very annoying if you are watching several videos in sequence.

If you have a keyboard with volume up and sown controls that can be a partial solution. I say a partial solution because it doesn't seem to give fine enough volume control for me. One setting is too loud and the next one is too low. My solution is to do either of the following:

1. There is a way to get finer volume control from the sound features built into macOS. †he keystrokes are a pain to remember if you don't use them often. Try Shift Option Fn f11 or Shift Option Fn f12.

2. Using a headset/external speaker with volume control.

3. Attach an audio interface with volume control. I'm using a fairly cheap mixer with analog controls that I bought ro work on podcasts.

OP
jmac0408
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi us agora:

The sequence to open you describe above is exactly the way my Safari does it. The double-ended arrow only appears in the upper left corner when you hover the cursor over the video clip!! I apologize, I can't seem to edit the screenshot I took down to the required 800x800. Still trying valiantly to learn how to master these (simple) tasks!!

BTW, in one of your previous replies, you attached a screenshot/video clip with a red arrow pointing to a red-circled volume button in the task bar. I thought that was pretty cool. How does one go about doing that?

Thanks as always for your input and patience with this newbie!!

Reaction score
Hi us agora:

The sequence to open you describe above is exactly the way my Safari does it. The double-ended arrow only appears in the upper left corner when you hover the cursor over the video clip!! I apologize, I can't seem to edit the screenshot I took down to the required 800x800. Still trying valiantly to learn how to master these (simple) tasks!!

BTW, in one of your previous replies, you attached a screenshot/video clip with a red arrow pointing to a red-circled volume button in the task bar. I thought that was pretty cool. How does one go about doing that?

Thanks as always for your input and patience with this newbie!!

I don't get anything like that when I hover over the video either in Chrome or Safari.

TO RESIZE AN IMAGE
1. Open the image (should open in the app named Preview by default)
2. In Preview, at the menu bar at the top of the screen, click Tools > Adjust Size
3. Change the highest dimension to 800 (pixels)
4. Now you should be able to upload it to Mac-Forums

TO ANNOTATE AN IMAGE
1. Open the image
2. Click the annotate button just to the left of the search bar (looks like a marker tip) or press Shift+Command+A
Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 9.10.23 PM.png
3. In the menu that pops down, you can select various shapes, etc.
Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 9.11.55 PM.png

OP
jmac0408
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi us agora:

Sorry for the delay in response. I've been busy with GOLF !! I very much appreciate all your replies/instruction/suggestions! I will attempt to master same and look forward to communicating with you in the future.

Have a great evening!

Reaction score
Hi us agora:

Sorry for the delay in response. I've been busy with GOLF !! I very much appreciate all your replies/instruction/suggestions! I will attempt to master same and look forward to communicating with you in the future.

Have a great evening!

No problem. Glad you were able to enjoy some time outdoors!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.