Vibrating noise from new macbook pro, link for sound

Reaction score
I bought macbook pro 2014 about two weeks ago. Few days ago i started hearing something like vibrating sound coming from somewhere around power button. it happens when i turn my computer on (not every time) and then it stops sometimes by itself and sometimes i have to put it in sleep mode again and then turn it on. this noise is happening every five seconds and it is not loud, but you can here it when working on computer normally. i have recorded it with my iphone which was very close, so the sound is little louder than you would hear it normally.
here is the link - http://yourlisten.com/mortimer331/macbook-pro
you can hear the sound at: 3 sec, 8, sec, 13 sec and so on.. turn up the volume :)
specs: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014) 2,6 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris 1536 MB
first i thought that it was a fan, but then i downlaoded a program to control the fan speed and it is completely different sound, so i ruled that out. also, it happens regardless of being connected to power adapter or on the battery.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Few days ago i started hearing something like vibrating sound coming from somewhere around power button.

Checked out the sound from the website link…I could definitely hear the "Bzzzzt" sound. I'm not really sure what it is.

All I can suggest is (for testing purposes)…ONLY have the Mac OS installed on the computer (no 3rd party apps installed that auto-launch…always active).

If you still hear the sound under these conditions…if you can easily duplicate it…and since the computer is so new. Head to your local Apple Store (if possible) and have them diagnose it.

- Nick

p.s. By the way…one other thought. This may be a long shot…I wonder if it can be something to do with your homes electricity. Have you tried unplugging the MacBook Pro…and just running it on battery power. When running on battery power only…does it still make the "Bzzzt" sound?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
That is NOT normal. As Nick said make sure NOTHING is running or loading at start up, unplug it and see if the noise is gone. If it is not (or is back after plugging it back in) take it to the genius bar at an Apple store. It almost sounds like an electronic relay kicking in and out. But the fact you can hear it is not good at all especially in a new computer.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.