VERY slow Mavericks download

Reaction score
via WiFi, I started downloading before I went to bed. It's been going all night, 8 hrs, and the "progress" bar shows only 723 MB of 5.16 GB -- 1 day 16 hours remaining!
What's wrong?
I'm located near S.F. using AT&T U-Verse Internet services with supposed 12.4 download speeds.
Will anything bad happen if I interrupt by hitting "Pause" or manually restarting my computer?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There is always the possibility that you're having WiFi issues…or issues with your ISP.

One thing you can try is…connect your computer via ethernet (rather than WiFi)…see if this makes a difference. You can also go to speedtest.net to test your download speed (WiFi and ethernet).

If both methods are slow...check with your ISP.

Finally. One last thing you can do. Go to a local WiFi hotspot to download Mavericks.:)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
WiFi seems fine: Speed test shows 15.02 mpbs over my home wifi. That should be fast enough, don't you think? Doing this for my iMac, so can't lug it to a different location.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Depending on when you do it, the servers might be taking a beating..

I upgraded my iMac to Yosemite last night which is also a 5.xxGB download over WiFi. I have a 75/75 FiOS connection and watching with iStat Menus, I was getting around 2.8 to 3MB/s for most if it and downloaded the entire thing in about 24 minutes..

I had tried to upgrade my iPhone 5S to iOS 8 a week or so after release and its also a large download on the same iMac through the same WiFi and ISP connection, I was barely getting 128 to 300 KB/s and the download would have taken be a day or more to finish..

Just no rhyme or reason as to why the download goes slow sometimes, it is completely fine to hit pause and resume and that's what I do often when I see it going slowly until it goes at an acceptable (based on my connection) speed..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
WiFi seems fine: Speed test shows 15.02 mpbs over my home wifi. That should be fast enough, don't you think? Doing this for my iMac, so can't lug it to a different location.

This is almost exactly what I get on my home WiFi (cable modem). Assuming you have a similar setup...your issue is not your home WiFi, not your ISP…but on the "other end" (the sending end) like Raz0rEdge mentioned.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Here Down Under rural speed is slightly less than 8mb/s and Mavericks took about twenty minutes, and Yosemite about the same. Both take longer to install than download. Another question ~ how full is your hard drive?

Last edited:
OP
W
Reaction score
Hard drive

319 GB capacity, 150 GB available, so, that shouldn't be the problem.
The download has been chugging along all day. Now in process for 16 hours, more or less & it shows 1.5 GB of 5.16 GB has been downloaded.
This is ridiculous. Sure wish someone had some advice!

M

MacInWin

Could AT&T be throttling your download? A short speed test won't trigger the throttling, but a huge download definitely would.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
319 GB capacity, 150 GB available, so, that shouldn't be the problem.
The download has been chugging along all day. Now in process for 16 hours, more or less & it shows 1.5 GB of 5.16 GB has been downloaded.
This is ridiculous. Sure wish someone had some advice!

Did you try to pause and resume the transfer?

C

chas_m

I would bet serious money AT&T think you are pirating something and is throttling the download.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.