Vertical stripes appears and then system freezes

Reaction score
This is a ridiculous issue I am having from last 3 days. It started with nothing in specific but the I suddenly had these vertical stripes about an inch wide on the screen and it froze after that. I went to genius bar and he started the system in safe mode and it runs normally in safe mode but safe mode does not have all the functionality. I can't wrap my hear around this conflict that it runs properly in safe mode and it doesn't in normal mode. The repair is going to cost me a fortune. So, I am looking for some alternative solutions.

P.S: I have done the following things so far:
1. running hardware test - it says everything is okay.
2. wiping of PRAM - in fact did it several times.
3. from some other forum tried fsck too.

The image of the screen is as follows:
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Macbook 10.5.8 (late 2008-white)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Aluminum 2.4, 4g mem, 640 gig drive
have you tried control-shift-eject to reset the screen?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like a problem with your graphics processor. (GPU) When starting in SAFE mode, the drivers for video (other than the display itself) are not working, hence, no vertical lines, no freezing.

I'm sure the reason it's going to cost so much to repair is that they (Apple genius) said the logic board had to be replaced. The GPU is mounted to the logic board - soldered to it via surface mounting.

You can try reinstalling OS X to see if perhaps it's a software problem, but it does look like a hardware fault with the GPU. If you do decide to reinstall, be sure to make a backup first.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.