Verizon Billing: Recurring Without My Permission

Reaction score
Recently, Verizon Wireless put my credit card on their recurring (automatic) billing program without my permission. When I discovered this, I canceled the credit card and started paying my Verizon bill by check. Now, they have enrolled my checking account in recurring (automatic) billing without my permission.

Question: Are all the providers doing this to their customers? Can I get out of this trap my switching to ATT?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Call Verizon and tell them. I have Sprint/T-Mobile and I do let them autopay my account. They offer an incentive of $5 off for each device on my account. But I did have to allow it.

My friend has Verizon and she still get a paper bill each month to pay. I am aware companies have a sneaky way of putting accounts on autopay. It can be changed back - call them.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've been on Verizon for the last several years. Although they tend to push autopay and do offer a discount for autopay I've never enrolled in it. As of my last bill, about 2 weeks ago I've never been automatically enrolled in autopay.

AFAIK enrolling folks in such things without approval is illegal. I wonder if autopay enrollment is stipulated for some of the other options they offer? In that case, enrolling in one thing might be giving permission for enrollment in autopay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I've noticed some companies offer a "one-time payment" option, in addition to their regular bill payment option. You may have inadvertently selected the wrong option. But you should be able to go in and remove the "automatic billing" option. Check out their FAQ section.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Definitely call Verizon customer service and find out what's going on.

Like Lisa above, I have T-Mobile who offers a discount for autopay, but I had to specifically sign up for it.

Something else: If you have phones that you purchased from Verizon and pay for them each month along with your bill, they may require autopay to be turned on.

OP
M
Reaction score
I followed Lisa's advice and called Verizon. Twenty minutes on hold, which, you have to admit, isn't too bad, all things considered.

They said they didn't know anything about anything, but they will send a text to IT and have them look into it. They said that Verizon doesn't automatically enroll anyone in bill pay without customer's consent. Further, they only retain financial information for customer convenience if they are already enrolled in bill pay. The woman's name was "Stephanie," and she was very nice and spent a long time on the line with me. She says that she believes in Verizon, and that they are honest. Still, I would like to know why would Verizon retain the checking account number and routing number off of my checks unless they intended to start an automatic billing process?

Well see what happens next month. If the problem continues, I suppose I can switch to ATT or pay with money orders from the post office.

P.S. I also called my bank. They said that, if a payment link is set up with a retailer, they cannot see the link. You can only see the link on the retailer's site.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
P.S. I also called my bank. They said that, if a payment link is set up with a retailer, they cannot see the link. You can only see the link on the retailer's site.

You should be able to tell your bank to refuse payment on an auto pay that you did not authorize. If Verizon continues to give you problems with autopay, report it to your state utility commission.

OP
M
Reaction score
You should be able to tell your bank to refuse payment on an auto pay that you did not authorize. If Verizon continues to give you problems with autopay, report it to your state utility commission.

The bank said that they could not see the link, but they could see any debits to the account. If a debit appears, that's when I can dispute the debit (not the link).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Something else: If you have phones that you purchased from Verizon and pay for them each month along with your bill, they may require autopay to be turned on.
Unless that's a new policy I don't think that's what's happening. I've used that option without enrolling in autopay.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it was just a thought. Autopay should be something that you choose, not the carrier. But some carriers offer a discount if you do use autopay. I get a $5 discount per line with T-Mobile for using autopay. That's tacked on to our senior plan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you want to avoid auto pay, you should set up bill pay, through your banks website.

OP
M
Reaction score
On the same phone call, I brought up the fact that my payment check was processed incorrectly. They deposited $52.00 instead of $52.50. I figured with a canceled check as evidence of payment, it would be no big deal. I found out later that they process checks electronically and do not save the paper check, so the bank has no paper record or digital image of the canceled check.

I don't know why this whole thing is bugging me so much, but it is.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Almost everyone nowadays processes checks electronically; and you're correct, no copy is kept, only a digital transaction. We don't pay any of our bills by check but instead use either a credit card or debit card. Those transactions are recorded by your bank and can easily be traced and even debited back to you in case of a problem.

However, some agencies (Texas property taxes is one) charge an extra fee for the use of a credit card. When paying that bill I use a check or bank electronic check.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Ferrarr What is the difference between Auto Pay and Bill Pay. Aren't both done automatically? One from your credit card and the other from your checking account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In my opinion, it is easier to control the electronic payments that I schedule coming out of my bank/debit/credit account, either automatically, or as I want. This way I have the control, and not the receiving institution.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ferrarr What is the difference between Auto Pay and Bill Pay. Aren't both done automatically? One from your credit card and the other from your checking account?

Actually, there is no difference. I've looked into Bill Pay with my bank and it requires that the agencies billing you (utilities, etc) bill directly to your bank account. Your bank then authorizes the payment from your account.

Autopay is just another way of saying the same thing except that you can specify the debit be taken from your credit card, or bank account.

The only auto pay that I use is with my phone carrier (T-Mobile) and the reason I do it is to get their cheaper rate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.