Verification Codes

ptwohey

Reaction score
When I login at a bank or CC they send me a verification code. Always goes to my phone but not my iPad or desktop. It always came to my desktop and I could choose it and it would enter it and I'd be done. Now it doesn't. How do I get it sent to my other devices

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not sure how you had things setup in the past when the codes went to all your devices. But sometimes/many times...you are asked by the place sending the code how/where you want it sent.

For example one of the choices might be to send the code to a phone number. For many of us this would be our cellphone. If this is the case...then this might explain why it's only going to your cellphone...but not your iPad or computer.

On the other hand these codes can be sent to an email address. In this case if all three devices (cellphone, iPad, and computer) are able to access the email address the code is sent to...then all should receive it.

First thing to do is verify how these verification codes are being sent for each company/website you deal with (to a phone number, email address, etc)...then change things as necessary.

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
When I login at a bank or CC they send me a verification code. Always goes to my phone but not my iPad or desktop. It always came to my desktop and I could choose it and it would enter it and I'd be done. Now it doesn't. How do I get it sent to my other devices

If your phone is an iPhone and your desktop is a Mac, and assuming those codes were coming by text message, then you need to enable forwarding of text messages to your other devices. Then any simple SMS message will go to Messages in all your devices.

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Your iPhone has the phone number to get the SMS, the other devices are piggybacking off that number and get the messages a little bit later. So if you ignore the message on your phone, you'll see the notification on the iPad and the Mac. If you "pick up" the notification on the phone, the SMS will still appear in the Messages app on the other devices, but you won't get the notification.

Can you imagine the annoyance if every connected device notified you about an event even though you already acknowledged it on one device?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.