Ventura update released

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Apple released Ventura 13.3.1 today. Says it's an "urgent security update." Relatively small, quick install, but it does require a reboot to complete.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
macOS Ventura 13.3.1 provides important bug fixes and security updates for your Mac including:

- Pushing hands emoji does not show skin tone variations
- Auto Unlock your Mac with Apple Watch may not work

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Howard Oakley also identified this in the update:
This addresses two security vulnerabilities in IOSurfaceAccelerator and WebKit, both of which Apple is aware of reports that they may have been actively exploited. Full details are here.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also updates for iOS and iPadOS for the same vulnerabiities.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And Safari updates for Big Sur and Monterey users (as well as Ventura).

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just a friendly reminder to all, don't update your iPhone, or iPad for that matter via USB cable to your computer. I don't know if anyone still does this but I was warned off doing this a couple of years back on these very forums.
Case in point; my lovely wife was syncing her iPhone12 this morning in order to add some talking books to the Books app. Finder informed her there was an iOS update so she clicked Update.
The first I hear about it is she comes to me with her iPhone in Restore (DFU) mode.
I plug it into her MBP and it states the iPhone "has a problem" requiring it to be updated or restored.
I was unable to update it and after trying a number of times was unable to restore it either receiving a message to that effect and advice to take it to an Apple service centre.
The iPhone now appeared in the Finder as "iPhone" having lost its identifying name. Restarting just the iPhone failed always returning to the DFU display.
So I tried plugging it into my M1 MBP. This time Finder began downloading the update in recovery mode but only got half way. After a couple of similar failed repeats I rebooted my wife's MBP and plugged the iPhone in again.
This time the Restore process worked loading the updated iOS in just a few minutes and I was then able to restore her backup to the device.
To me this illustrates two things; an iCloud backup is useless if your iPhone will not boot up, and updating via a computer has potential to cause problems if the device becomes disconnected or interrupted during the process which I suspect was the case.
Really there is a third thing; don't give up the first time an Apple dialogue tells you to take your device to a service centre.
Instead of being without her iPhone over Easter holidays it's up and running again as normal. Yes, she has lost a few WhatsApp messages, has to log back into a few apps, lost Bluetooth prefs ect but they are minor inconveniences

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Very useful advice, as always, Rod.

As it so happens, I did update my iPhone 13 Pro to 16.4.1 via my iMac running Monterey without upset; but your advice will make me do it via WiFi in the future - which is what I did with my wife's iPhone 14 Pro, my old iPad and my new iPad.

Only my iPhone 13 Pro was updated via USB to the iMac - lucky me this time. Thanks for the Tip (y)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I have always updated via wifi or data, never considered connecting to the computor to update, many thanks for the steer.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rod, that is strange. I've updated my iPhone several times connected to my MBP and never had an issue. It is important to read all of the things that are available to click, however, as one of the options is "Restore iPhone..." and the button is directly beside where it would say an update is available. If she clicked "Restore" instead of the "Update available" button she would end up in the DFU mode, as you described. I wonder if that is what happened?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Pretty hard to say now Jake. All I can say definitively is that once this (below) display was on her iphone nothing I did with the options available on her MBP fixed it.

Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 7.25.30 am.png

What I got was this:

Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 7.29.30 am.png

Clicking on Update didnt work it resulted in this box:

Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 7.34.05 am.png

That put me into a loop taking me back to the first box and so on.

Attempting to perform a restore on my MBP somehow broke the cycle so that once I had restarted her MBP somehow allowed the Restore process to proceed. I did try Update first, that didn't work yet when I tried Restore it was completed in less than 2min, as if the update was already loaded on the MBP.

The point is adding an additional device just complicates the issue, was it the initial download on the MBP? Was it an interrupted connection? Was it user error? Most of these are eliminated using the device itself because there is nothing to disconnect, if the download fails the device simply tells you that and you can try again later.

Removing the computer from the chain of events simply removes an additional variable from the process.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The point is adding an additional device just complicates the issue, was it the initial download on the MBP? Was it an interrupted connection? Was it user error? Most of these are eliminated using the device itself because there is nothing to disconnect, if the download fails the device simply tells you that and you can try again later.
Answers in order:
was it the download? - No.
Interrupted connection? - Maybe, but unlikely.
User error? - Probably, easy to do if you aren't careful or don't really know what you are doing.

You did not say you tried to select the "Restore" from the images you showed. That would have restored the iphone, just as you finally did on your MBP.

In any event, the iPhone was restored.

As I said, I've updated/upgraded several times though my MBP. It's not a bad way to go.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, well I did try restore in all cases after Update failed. "I was unable to update it and after trying a number of times was unable to Restore it either"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.