vanishing list

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
I work in Sierra 10.12.6.

The problem: I have a list of photos on the left side of the monitor. I highlight all, then double click to show them in preview. The images "fly" in from the right side, pushing the list off the screen.

Before, the images would open, and the list would remain on the screen.

Is there a way I can return to that format?

Thank you,

bmahin

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
left side, right side? Do you have Spaces enabled? You have images on the Desktop? I'm on Big Sur and I have a number of images on the Desktop and I selected them all and double-clicked and I got a single Preview window to the left of my screen with all of the images in the sidebar for me to look at.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
Ashwin,

Thank you, but working with spaces didn't work. As before, when I selected the list of names and double clicked for preview, the images opened, swept across the screen, and the list disappeared.

Again, thanks.

bmahin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You have "a list" of photos on your monitor. Please translate using specific computer terminology. Are these icons in Finder, just sitting on the Desktop? Is this in a Finder Window set to view Files in a List?

I'll still take a stab at it with limited info. Is it possible that you have now set (intentionally or accidentally) Preview to open in a specific Desktop using Mission Control? Explore the MC pane in System Preferences and see if you find your solution there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
A screen shot of the "list" might help. Like toMACsh, I am having a hard time understanding what you are describing.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
1) OK, first thanks to all who replied.

2) I basically tried everything that was suggested, shutdown the computer for the night, and yesterday all was well.

3) Today, the problem has reappeared.

4) Here's the process of the problem.

I select a list of photos on the desktop (as shown on the screenshot below) that I'd like to open in Preview. I double click on the list. The images appear on the right, quickly moving from left to right, filling the screen and eliminating the list, somewhat like launcher did as an effect years ago.

Anyway, thanks again. Here's the screenshot:

screen.jpeg

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Oh!:oops:. Well I can see why you use Grab. My guess is that the selected items are opening somewhere else because there is no room to do so on your desktop. Are you using Mission Control at all?
Here is an example;
Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 2.46.24 pm.png

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It looks to me like you are using your Mac like a Windows PC. The Desktop is not the ideal (or safe) place to keep all those files and folders. Macs are not designed to be used that way. They have a simple folder system displayed in any finder window listed as Documents, Photos, Music, Recent, Applications, Locations and Drives all designed to eliminate what you have in your screen shot.
Each folder gives you multiple viewing options and data about each file. Multiple files can be easily selected and applications chosen to open them.
I'd suggest you do a little reading on using the Finder in MacOS it is the intrinsic difference between a Windows PC and Mac OS that makes it so easy to use.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@bmahin,

As already stated, your primary problem is filling the Desktop with anything - Files, Photos, Movies, -anything.

Please keep it free of all this clutter. Naturally, there are occasions when it is quite legitimate to temporarily store Files or Folders on the Desktop - eg when engaged on a project where you require instant access to certain items that you are working on.

But an even better way of organising Projects and other frequently accessed Files is this:

Keep the Desktop empty except for showing active Drives (Macintosh, Time Machine, CCC or SuperDuper!).

In Finder > Documents, create a Project Folder - let's call it "My first book". Put all your needed documents, photos, data and so on into that Folder.

***Now, Left Click on that Folder and drag it into the Dock, to the far right close to the Bin (NOT into the Bin, of course). This will create an Alias (in Windows, you'd call it a Shortcut).***

Now, your Desktop is clear and when you need to work on your project, just Click on the "My First Book" alias in the Dock. This will open up all you need to work on it. Close out of it when finished. It will remain in the Dock till you need it next, but being an alias, it is actually stored in your Documents within Finder.

Do try to keep your desktop as clear as possible.

*** You could, instead of dragging it to the Dock, drag it into the Sidebar of Finder where it will create an alias there and you can work on it as above. Remove from Sidebar when finished.**

This is what it would look like in the Dock:

S1.png

And this is what it looks like in the Finder Sidebar

S2.jpg

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I fully support the suggestions to clean up your desktop display. However, I recognize that sometimes it just gets away from a user in the middle of a project. When I have that happen, to clean it up I create a folder, on the Desktop, and name it "Was Desktop <<date>>" where I put the date of the cleanup, then I drag/drop just about everything on the desktop to that folder and then move it to my user area. I leave behind the drives and one or two folder of material I do want to keep on the desktop, but everything else goes into that folder and gets put away.

The good news is that Finder can search for anything, as can EasyFind and FindAnyFile. So even though it's not on the Desktop, those things can be found with a quick search again later to get back to them.

OK, with that out of the way, I'm still struggling with your "list." When I click on items on my desktop, the get highlighted, not added to a "list" like you are displaying. What tool are you using to make that list?

EDIT: In looking at it, it looks vaguely like Finder, but with almost everything compressed out by squeezing it into such a narrow display.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use a utility called Clean. Every 24 hrs it removes everything on the desktop (except tagged items) to a folder in Documents. I keep a shortcut on the dock for quick access. Roughly once each month I review the contents in a finder window, drag the items I want to appropriate folders.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake, I think thats's Grab.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Grab is, I thought, a screen grabber. What I think was done was to open a folder called "Images," then compress Finder from the right edge in list mode until only that list shows, then invoke Grab to make the screenshot. Because Grab did that, it shows in the top bar. I did an experiment and if you open Finder in list mode and then compress it to one column, you get that view. And I think, but it's a guess, that when the OP then tries to "open" the files selected, each one opens a separate instance of Preview, which then arrange themselves in a stack on the open desktop. One image to one instance. We don't have a picture of that, but it seems to fit the OP description of what happens.

Or maybe I don't understand at all. Happens...

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
A good morning to all of you.

It took awhile but I cleaned up the desktop, as many of you suggested, did a lot of housekeeping, and the problem went away.

Again, thanks so much to all of you.

bmahin

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
Ai Yi Yai, sometimes all is well, other times the problem returns, then disappears.

OK, here's the desktop:

1. full screen.jpeg

Double click Macintosh HD, the only icon on screen, to show list of files:

1. full screen.jpeg

Double click on selected pix; photo opens on far left.

3. photo opens, moves to left.jpeg

The folder menu has vanished.

Again, this has now become a random phenomenon--occasionally everything works as it should[ other times the problem is back--usually when I open up in the morning.

I suspect something else is going on within the OS, because the Search function has recently become erratic as well.

I've run both Disk Utility and Malwarebytes. No problems found.

Again, thanks to all of you.

Attachments

• 2. folder listing.jpeg
    2. folder listing.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why do you have Finder so narrow? And whatever you are using to view the images (Preview?) is also very, very narrow. I don't see anything wrong in what you posted. You have a Finder window, use it to pick an image, then view the image in a narrow window. That's how it works. Make the two windows (Finder and whatever for the image viewer).

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
I'm not explaining well.

I open up, double click on the only screen icon to get my overall listing. The listing appears, I select a photo, click on the name. The photo appears, but the file listing is closed at the same time. That's my problem: the directory disappears. It should remain onscreen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try this. Follow your steps to open the image. Then right click on the icon on the Dock for whatever application you use to view the image (from the shots you posted, that looks like Preview). Now look at "Options" to see what that application is set to use as the default location. If you have multiple desktops, it could be on a different desktop from where Finder is open. You can also try a four finger drag side to side to move from Desktop to Desktop to see if Finder and Preview are on two different Desktops. But life sure would be easier if you would just widen the windows for both Finder and Preview.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
But life sure would be easier if you would just widen the windows for both Finder and Preview.

And to do that, hold down the Option key and with it held down, click on the Green button. This will open the window to a size best suited to the contents therein.

Red, amber and green buttons are found on all open windows at the very top left of them.

You can, of course, left click and drag the window manually to any size or shape you like, but the former suggestion is easier and quicker.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'm not explaining well.
The difficulty is that you are not using computer terminology. Therefore, you not only need photos, but your text must refer to the photo in a specific way so that we know what you mean.
For example
I open up, double click on the only screen icon to get my overall listing.
"the only screen icon" and "my overall listing" do not describe anything someone else can apply any meaning to. You have described what you see, calling things by names you invented, and without a photo that says the former is on the left, the latter is on the right, or whatever. You leave us guessing as a result. I remain uncertain that any of the responses are correctly interpreting your posts. Maybe I'm just dense.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.