Using sudo as network user

Reaction score
I'm having trouble using the sudo command (in terminal) when logged in as a network user (not a local user).
I've tried entering the passwords for the net admin, local admin, and current user without success.

TL;DR: Does anybody know how I can use sudo to manipulate local files and/or server files as a network user?

Reaction score
I'm having trouble using the sudo command (in terminal) when logged in as a network user (not a local user).
I've tried entering the passwords for the net admin, local admin, and current user without success.
What error message do you get?

OP
P
Reaction score
There is no error message, but there aren't any results either. Basically there are no passwords that allow sudo command from the network user's terminal sessions.

And as far as being root, that defeats the point of being on a network account. I know I can be the local admin or root and use sudo, but I'd like to be able to sudo from a network account.

Reaction score
If that network user doesn't show up in the /etc/sudoers then they can't use the sudo command. I think by default a machine has a root user and whomever set up the computer in the first place is the admin with their own user account. Both those users have sudo privileges and they show up in /etc/sudoers. If you set up another user, like your network account, they won't have the ability to run sudo unless you edit the /etc/sudoers file.

OP
P
Reaction score
Passwords from the local sudoers file and the servers sudoers file don't work for sudo commands when logged into a network account.

Sudo does work using account passwords from the local sudoers file only when logged in as a local user.

How can I get the computer to accept passwords from the local sudoers file from a network account's terminal session?

TL-DR: I can use root's password to sudo on ANY local account, why doesnt it work for network accounts?)

Reaction score
I'm surprised to hear that. I more or less just quoted from man sudo and it said nothing about the /etc/sudoers file being restricted to local users which does sound like a very un-Unix thing to do. But, if you tried it and it fails I can't argue. I will be looking forward to a resolution to this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.