Using spinning HD for back-up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro mid2012 non retina, ssd, 13" Catalina10.15.7 iphone12Mini iOS14 iPad Pro 10.5 iOS14
Hi,
A while ago I replaced the spinning HD in my mid 2012 MacBook Pro with an SSD. The old drive is 500GB and I was thinking of what I could use it for. I already have two external drives for backing up the laptop.
Here is what I would like to do but don't know if it will work. I use Filmic Pro for video on my iPhone or iPad but sometimes run into storage space issues. With Filmic you can automatically transfer files to the Photos album, iCloud (I think) keep them in Filmic. Can I get an adapter that has a USB and Lightning connector that will both power the phone/pad and then have the files go directly to the HD plugged in? Will the Files app recognize the HD?

Not sure if this is the correct sub forum for this post.
thanks,
chris

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may be able to find an adapter that will work but it's likely that you will need two adapters. Anyway, try here first:

www.macsales.com

And if they don't have what you need, there is always Amazon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.