Using my PB as a DVD player on my 27in tv..questions

S

StealthMode

I would like to use my PowerBook as a DVD player on my tv when I want to watch movies. I have my Sony 27in connected to my PB via SVideo cable and the quality is quite impressive. I can actually read text, even at 1024x768 if I have to. Anyway, how do I get the video to play on my tv instead of just my desktop on my PB? I'd like to have that open and freed up if possible, and the video running to my second display, the tv. Is there a way I can do this? Thanx in advance for the help.

Stealth -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
You need to open up System Preferences and go to "Displays" Then click on "show displays in Menu bar" Then go ahead and close System Preferences. Now go up to the menu bar and select the "Displays" menu.. a little monitor and turn on "video mirroring" or something like that.. then what will be shown on your screen will be shown on your TV. You can't really free up your PB as far as I know, since you only have one video card.. anybody want to correct me if I am wrong?

Cheers!

OP
S

StealthMode

Ok, thats what I figured I have to do. I thought I could drag the video screen over to the tv's desktop like on my pc, but it won't let me on here. Oh well, that will work though I guess :D Unless of course there is a way to do it the other way!

Stealth -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i dont think what you want to do is possible with a tv but if you were just using another monitor with the monitor connections you could do that

OP
S

StealthMode

Ah well, not that big of a deal. This will work for now, till I get a DVD player. :) I was really impressed with the tv out quality though. No blurryness at all, very sharp, and the color was very bright.
Anyway, thanx for the help.

Stealth -

OP
P

PowerbookG417

It seems to only be with the Idvd software, well that being the only one i use. When ever im watching my divx movies on the svideo i use an app called bitplayer and with it i can drag it over to my second monitor (being the tv) and still have my main desktop open to use and surf and whatever id like, jsut seems to be that software...perhaps try other dvd software see if this clears the issue for you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.