Using MS Word via Parallels, Arial font isn't printing properly

Reaction score
Every apostrophe I typed in my document is printing like the Spanish letter i with an accent above it, and the dashes are printing like the Spanish letter n with a tilde above it. My language settings are correct.

If I change the font to Courier, it prints fine, which tells me it's a problem with true type fonts. In Arial it all looks fine in print preview, yet it prints wrong, which tells me it's a Parallels problem and not a Windows or Word problem.

Any idea why symbols like dash and apostrophe don't print properly in Arial font when I'm using Parallels?

Thanks for any ideas.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you installed the Parallels guest tools for Windows? Is your printer properly recognized when in Parallels? If all OK, next check Word. I'm assuming you're using Windows Word. Make sure the international settings in Word are turned off and you're not using an IME. Those settings are different for Word 2007 than from say Word 2002 or 2003.

(Make sure your keyboard is set to US.)

I can't think of anything else that could be causing the characters to switch. If a TT font was corrupt, the errors would be extensive for that font.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What type of printer are you using, an office printer or a home inkjet?

Reaction score
Windows-in-Parallels: Fix for odd characters when printing

I had quotes replaced with i's with accents, among other odd replacements when printing from MS Word in windows in Parallels, on my Mac.

The fix: In word, do print -> printer properties -> advanced -> true type -> select "download soft fonts" rather that "use printer's default." That fixed it for me. Cheers.

Reaction score
advanced is not an option??

I am trying to fix the apostrophe print issue, (Windows XP) but when I follow the directions there is not an advanced option to get to the step regarding fonts.
Please help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.