Using Midi on my Mac?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm switching over to a macbook pro, and I need to use some audio applications such as Logic pro 8. It says on the applie site that one of the requirements for Logic Pro Studio is a Midi interface.

Now, I'm wondering is this already built into my new 2.4ghz Macbook pro? Or do I need to purchase some hardware? I want to use software that uses advanced midi features like drum sampling and synths.

Thanks for any help of advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Direct MIDI ports haven't been on any computers since the Atari Falcon, as far as I know. Besides, you don't need MIDI to be able to use Logic Pro, as the application can be used entirely with Audio, or you can program in MIDI sequences using your Mac keyboard, or simply entering them one by one on the piano roll editor.

Now if you want to use an external controller, like a keyboard or drum pads, then you'll connect them to your MacBook Pro via USB (which creates a MIDI bridge to Logic). These cables will come with the controllers themselves.

Alternatively, you can get a USB to MIDI cable from any decent music store, and use these with older MIDI only synthesizers.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply zoolock.

So basically the MBP comes with a midi capable soundcard - I guess that's what I was wondering.

With a PC, most standard soundcards aren't good enough to allow you to load in midi samples, use midi controls, or create complex drum patterns. Usually the first thing you need to do with a PC is get a better soundcard. e.g. with my old PC I got a soundblaster LIVE! instead of the std. card so that I could use applications like Cakewalk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Mac uses Core Audio, rather than rely on drivers of any particular 'sound card' - meaning all the processing is done on the CPU - incidentally Vista now does the same thing. The issue with most PC sound cards was the driver.

I have a 'lowly' MacBook with a 2ghz Core Duo, and most of my soft synths (the Logic synths, Korg Legacy Collection and a Yamaha CS80 by Arturia) all run on 256 samples without issue, that's around 5 msec latency, and barely use 20% of one core, even with effects. Make sure you update Logic Pro 8 to the latest version, because the original release had some performance issues.

No additional hardware is needed.

OP
D
Reaction score
Zoolock, that is great news :) So all I'll need is a midi keyboard and Logic pro 8 and I'm away!

I'm so happy I went with Mac. I work as a Windows developer, and my experience so far of Windows Vista has put me off it. The CPU and memory usage is terrible! I'm tired of having Windows problems so I'm moving to Mac.

My Macbook pro has 4gigs of memory, so I'm hoping it will work nicely for my music applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Zoolock, that is great news :) So all I'll need is a midi keyboard and Logic pro 8 and I'm away!

I'm so happy I went with Mac. I work as a Windows developer, and my experience so far of Windows Vista has put me off it. The CPU and memory usage is terrible! I'm tired of having Windows problems so I'm moving to Mac.

My Macbook pro has 4gigs of memory, so I'm hoping it will work nicely for my music applications.

Logic Pro 8 is a really incredible peice of software, and your machine is very well equipped to handle it. The 45GBs or so of samples you get free will keep you amused for months, literally, not to mention Ultra-Beat and the modelling synth. Have fun.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.