Using iPhone to run iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Is there a way to use my iPhone 8+ to connect my iPad Air 2 to the internet via my iPhone. Going on a trip and am leery of public Wi-Fi.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I know it used to work with iOS 10 or 11, but I'm not sure about newer versions of iOS. You could also use your providers Personal Hotspot service as a local Wi-Fi network? It is an additional fee.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there a way to use my iPhone 8+ to connect my iPad Air 2 to the internet via my iPhone. Going on a trip and am leery of public Wi-Fi.

Pete

You can use your iPhone as a hot spot as Bob indicated, however, all you really need to do is use a VPN and go on public WiFi. The VPN will protect you. (There are free VPNs.)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Okay...just looked up VPN. Virtual Private Network. Learn something new every day.
So basically, will the VPN allow me to use my tablet, via another Wi-Fi source, as if I was using my home WI-Fi source?
Will I have to know my home network name to set up the VPN? Do I have to know the name of the other WI-Fi source to set this up?
Can I set up the VPN prior to travel even if I don't know the name of the WI-FI source?
Sorry for all the questions, but this is all new to me.

Pete

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Pete

A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is essential if connecting to the Internet from a cafe, train, bus, airport, hotel or similar, because these are unprotected networks and naughty people can eavesdrop on your communications, steal your passwords and generally create havoc.

Of course this doesn't happen every day in every situation; but certainly often enough to demand the extra security of a VPN.

My advice would be to avoid "free" VPNs and go for one of the top ten VPNs for which you have to pay.

This may help you: Popular VPNs Compared | Other World Computing Blog

In answer to your questions: You can use a VPN on any device that communicates with the Internet - Macs, iPhones, iPads.

Once you purchase a VPN, an app bearing that name will be on all your devices. You don't need to worry about your home Wi-Fi, your travel arrangements. Once activated, you can select where in the world you want to be from the list of sites provided by the VPN app.

All you really need to know - certainly at the beginning - is that it disguises your ISP address and identity.

And please don't feel embarrassed at asking these questions. Not only are we here for that purpose; but most of us started out in a similar situation to you.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.