Using HP Printer with MacBook Air

Reaction score
I have an HP 4000n laser jet printer. I also have a new Mac. I have tried to get the Mac to print but with no success. I read today where the new upgrade to Mac might have solved that problem. Well, I can see a generic version now of the HP, but when I tried to print, it gives me a 'waiting for authentication' message and does not print. I don't know what that means and can't seem to find out. Can anyone help me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
The printer has a front panel menu - is there a user code or user password required?
How is the printer connected to your Mac? USB-parallel cable or ethernet?
When/what computer was the last one that printed on this printer?

OP
P
Reaction score
This printer has been primarily used with Windows format until my recent purchase of a Mac. It is a workhorse - and it connects directly to my desktop computer, which is a Dell. I have used it wirelessly for several years from my living room. It requires no password - none of my windows computers do, and never have. I spent about an hour online with Apple yesterday and they tried to get it to work - we were finally able to get the Mac to recognize it, but when you try to print, a window comes up saying that it's waiting for authentication. That's where we get stuck. HP doesn't support their old products well - but I believe that Apple's latest update actually allowed us to even find it...I am only trying to use it wirelessly from my Mac. This printer is probably 15 years old - but still works like a dream. My main reason for wanting it to work with the Mac was to save the cost of ink jet ink. Thanks for your response, but I may end up just buying a new, much cheaper and much smaller laser printer that will work seamlessly with my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Note HP printers do not work well with Macs. Never have and never will. If you search the threads on printers you will see most concern HP printers who are most reluctant it seems to make/update Mac drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
OK, so you're trying to print to a Windows-shared printer. Thanks for that info.
(I find HP laserjets to be very reliable, too)
I haven't tried connecting to a Windows-shared printer for a LONG time, but I have Windows XP (with a printer) on an old computer (that normally runs linux oper system). Give me a couple of hours to try it, and I'll be back.
You'll probably need to know your Dell's IP address, and the printer's queue name on the Dell. Look for that in the meantime.

Also, do you use the same username on the Dell as you do on you new Mac? The authentication problem could be that difference, and it may help to have a new identical username on the Dell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Just added a Windows-shared printer (Win XP) on my Mac 10.9.5 using the Windows sharing protocol.
Steps:
1) Go to the Dell, and double-check that the printer is "shared." I think it is already. Note the "shared name." That's the queue name, although we probably won't need to type it anywhere.
2) On the Mac, download and install Gutenprint drivers. This is necessary, because the LJ4000 uses the PCL page language on Windows, but the Mac driver defaults to postscript. Different languages means the print jobs won't go through. Gutenprint gives us a PCL driver for the LJ4000 to match what's being used by Windows.
3) On the Mac, go to Syst Prefs > Print & Scanning, and click " + " to add a printer, and select Add printer or scanner in the drop-down.
4) The Add printer dialog comes up. Probably shows you the "default" window. On the right side of the top, does "Windows" icon appear? If not, right-click or Command-click near the word "Add," and Customize the menu to have Windows as an optional icon along the top.
5) Now click on Windows to continue adding. a Selector box comes up and you select "workgroup," "server_name," and printer's "sharename." Note that workgroup is the default workgroup name for Macs and Windows. If you use something else, this step may need to change (the Mac needs to be in the same workgroup as the print server for this to work easily)
6) Select driver software - use Gutenprint LJ 4000.
7) Finish and try it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.