Using Disk Utility having SSD

Reaction score
Hi,

I have lately installed a 1TB Crucial SSD for my MBP mid 2012. I am wondering if it is healthy for the SSD to run Repair Disk Permissions from Disk Utility every now and then.

Does it damage the SSD?

Thanking you in advance.

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, running repair permissions from Disk Utility will cause no harm to the SSD, however, why do you think you need to run "repair permissions" every so often? You only need to do that if you encounter a permissions problem, otherwise I would leave it alone. If something isn't broken, don't try to fix it. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi,

I have lately installed a 1TB Crucial SSD for my MBP mid 2012. I am wondering if it is healthy for the SSD to run Repair Disk Permissions from Disk Utility every now and then.

Since you are asking questions about maintenance of a 'new' SSD, also keep in mind that 'defragmentation' should not be done on a solid state drive and may impact on the drive's lifespan - this has been discussed in the forum previously - googling will bring up plenty of hits, such as HERE.

Also, a more recent feature of OS X is TRIM support (info HERE) which 'recycles' your flash memory for more effective use - in checking my System Information (about this Mac), TRIM was activated - believe it is the default for modern OS X (see screen capture below from my 2013 MBPro w/ Mavericks) - and hopefully some of our 'hardware experts' will chime in on these issues. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 11.44.43 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And Disk Utility every couple of months is enough imho. Getting lots of SUDO etc messages? Just ignore them unless they are in red.

OP
M
Reaction score
Since you are asking questions about maintenance of a 'new' SSD, also keep in mind that 'defragmentation' should not be done on a solid state drive and may impact on the drive's lifespan - this has been discussed in the forum previously - googling will bring up plenty of hits, such as HERE.

Also, a more recent feature of OS X is TRIM support (info HERE) which 'recycles' your flash memory for more effective use - in checking my System Information (about this Mac), TRIM was activated - believe it is the default for modern OS X (see screen capture below from my 2013 MBPro w/ Mavericks) - and hopefully some of our 'hardware experts' will chime in on these issues. Dave :)

But if I am not mistaken the trim support is only enabled automatically for apple SSDs, and is not automatically enabled for third party SSDs like Crucial. Is this correct?
Crucial told me that is not needed as the SSD has inbuilt garbage collection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
But if I am not mistaken the trim support is only enabled automatically for apple SSDs, and is not automatically enabled for third party SSDs like Crucial. Is this correct?
Crucial told me that is not needed as the SSD has inbuilt garbage collection.

You're correct about the first statement above which is discussed in the second link in my previous post and as shown in the pic of my MBPro's SSD. The article also discusses how to enable TRIM either by the terminal or third party software. Now whether your new Crucial SSD needs TRIM, I have no idea but would certainly listen to the company making the drive for best advice. Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for all your help and information you are all very helpful :)

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.