Using cellphone earbuds with Mac Pro

Reaction score
So, my employer has granted me an ergonomics budget to pick up a pair of earphones for work. For a number of reasons, I'm choosing a pair of good quality earbuds. These, in particular.

The problem (if you can call it that) is that I'm using a 2013 Mac Pro. I 100% require the microphone to be functional, and I am getting very confused trying to find the right set of cables to make this happen. I only get one shot at buying this on the company dime. If I can't get the microphone to work with whatever is in the initial order, then I have to pay out of pocket to get whatever I need to make this work right.

Considering what splitters cost, this is not exactly a high stakes problem, but I'm just not sure what I'll need to make everything work correctly.

Thusly, I throw myself at the mercy of the Maconspiracy. Before anyone suggests it, no, I really am dead set on using earbuds. These in particular. I used a pair just like them in a previous job when I used a FreeBSD workstation and I got them to work just fine. If a unix desktop can do it, an OSX desktop shouldn't have any problem (and yet, everything I've read about this has been confusing and contradictory).

HEEELP! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Intel Core i5 / iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 plus
The laptop ALREADY has a built-in microphone, so using that Bose earbuds will only serve as headphones, the microphone is useless unless you use them with a phone. To use the earphones' microphone, you need a pair of earphones that has two ends: one for the speaker slot, and another one for the microphone slot.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.