Using an external HDD specifically for Photos

Reaction score
Does anyone use an external HDD for their Photos and not keep any on the Mac itself? I’m thinking of buying a 2021 Mac but 256 GB is far too small. I currently have a 2013 Mac that has had a 1 TB SSD fitted but if I buy a new Mac, would it work okay having all my photos on a separate HDD? I asked because my current Mac is soon going to be obsolete and I have recently had problems accessing my photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
I keep all my pics on IMGUR...there's no charge. Check em out:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Does anyone use an external HDD for their Photos and not keep any on the Mac itself? I’m thinking of buying a 2021 Mac but 256 GB is far too small. I currently have a 2013 Mac that has had a 1 TB SSD fitted but if I buy a new Mac, would it work okay having all my photos on a separate HDD? I asked because my current Mac is soon going to be obsolete and I have recently had problems accessing my photos.

You can certainly keep your photos on an External Hard Drive (EHD).

Firstly, you can copy your Photos Library to an EHD. Then, on your Mac, tell it where the Library is. When you confirm that the Library on the EHD is okay, you can delete the Photos Library on your Mac to save space.

This Apple article explains all the details regarding running your Photos Library from an EHD.

Read it carefully and bear in mind that running your Photos Library from an EHD, means that it is the only source of all your photographs. You might therefore consider copying the contents of that EHD to another EHD from time to time as a Backup (BU).

Secondly, you can BU all your photos to iCloud assuming you have enough space in iCloud - or you can purchase more space if you need it.

Anything not clear, or if you want more info, please post back.

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
You can certainly keep your photos on an External Hard Drive (EHD).

Firstly, you can copy your Photos Library to an EHD. Then, on your Mac, tell it where the Library is. When you confirm that the Library on the EHD is okay, you can delete the Photos Library on your Mac to save space.

This Apple article explains all the details regarding running your Photos Library from an EHD.

Read it carefully and bear in mind that running your Photos Library from an EHD, means that it is the only source of all your photographs. You might therefore consider copying the contents of that EHD to another EHD from time to time as a Backup (BU).

Secondly, you can BU all your photos to iCloud assuming you have enough space in iCloud - or you can purchase more space if you need it.

Anything not clear, or if you want more info, please post back.

Ian
Thank you, Ian. I already have my photos backed up on to an EHD and also on another EHD via the Time Machine. Maybe a bit OTT but I want to make sure I don’t lose them! I don’t really want to buy more space on the Cloud. However, I’ve never actually used the photos library direct from the EHD so just really wanted confirmation that it would work OK. I think my current Mac is failing and there soon won’t be full support for it from Apple, so I was considering buying a new 2021 Mac which, as you probably know, is not on offer with 1 TB SDD which I have installed on my current Mac, thereby giving me loads of room.
That’s the main reason I wanted to know if I can safely run Photos from an EHD. Sounds as if it won’t be a problem. Pat

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Good luck Pat. Hope you get and enjoy your new Mac whenever that might be. Your multiple backups are a credit to you. You can never be OTT because data in any form is precious and, in comparison, disk is cheap.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.