Using a Verizon iPhone 5 on T-Mobile

Reaction score
I've read a lot of posts on the www saying that while an unlocked iPhone 5 from Verizon will work just fine on T-Mobile's 4G network (like mine is currently doing), hooking up to T-Mobile's LTE band(s) is not an option - without jailbreak. Unfortunately, I updated to iOS 8.1.3 and am anxiously awaiting a JB option.

My question is - Does this hardware even "have" the required band(s) necessary to get T-Mobile's LTE signal? Do these bands just, simply, need to be unlocked?

Any guidance would be appreciated....Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your iPhone 5 as far as I know, should be able to utilize the T-Mobile LTE bands. Since you have a T-Mobile sim card and are a subscriber, just ask one of the T-Mobile techs who work in their stores. Once you start messing with a jail break, all bets are off.

My iPhone 5c is T-Mobile and when I'm up and about here in Fort Worth or Dallas, my phone will tell me when the signal is LTE. Yours should do the same if it can receive LTE.

OP
T
Reaction score
Really? I actually have heard the opposite across the www - That the Verizon iPhone 5 can use T-Mobile's 4G but NOT LTE - I wonder - cause even though my iPhone 5 says 4G, not LTE, I'm experiencing downloads of anywhere between 10-16mbps - which is pretty **** good. I'm just wondering how to enable the LTE radio on this device-If possible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If you go to Settings -> Cellular -> is there a slider button for "enable LTE"??

I have that on my iPhone 6+ and I have to turn it on to get LTE.

Lisa

OP
T
Reaction score
Your iPhone 5 as far as I know, should be able to utilize the T-Mobile LTE bands. Since you have a T-Mobile sim card and are a subscriber, just ask one of the T-Mobile techs who work in their stores. Once you start messing with a jail break, all bets are off.

My iPhone 5c is T-Mobile and when I'm up and about here in Fort Worth or Dallas, my phone will tell me when the signal is LTE. Yours should do the same if it can receive LTE.

Remember, however, this is VERIZON device - Not a 5 from Tmobile

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
You might be. It seems like you are getting great speeds anyway which is good. I will say when I am getting 4G LTE it show it at the top of my phone as LTE.

Lisa

OP
T
Reaction score
You might be. It seems like you are getting great speeds anyway which is good. I will say when I am getting 4G LTE it show it at the top of my phone as LTE.

Lisa

Perhaps - Just want eberyone to remember that I am using a Verizon 5, not a T-Mobile 5 - Just a T-mobile nano sim on an unlocked Verizon 5

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Remember, however, this is VERIZON device - Not a 5 from Tmobile

I understand. However, the iPhone 5, 5C, 5S, and the 6 series from Verizon have dual radios and can be utilized as CDMA (Verizon, Sprint) or GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile). The question about LTE should be directed to T-Mobile. That's why I suggested you ask at one of their stores or give their customer service a call. It appears from what you stated above that you're getting good speeds though.

Edit: I just remembered something.... I have a cellular iPad 3 Verizon model. I took it to T-Mobile and they removed the Verizon nano sim and put in a T-Mobile nano sim for me. My iPad 3 gets LTE on the T-Mobile network. I can't say for sure your iPhone is the same, but I know that it's possible for a Verizon device to receive LTE on T-Mobile.

OP
T
Reaction score
T-Mo said that I need to have frequency (LTE Band 12) activated - I know this phone,out of the box, supported LTE bands 1,3,5,13,25 but not 12. My next question...when a jailbreak comes along, with enabling band 12 be an option or is that simply not possible with this device?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My next question...when a jailbreak comes along, with enabling band 12 be an option or is that simply not possible with this device?

That's a good question. I'm going say with what you were told by T-Mobile that band 12 is not likely going to be available even with a JB. Those frequencies are set in already and can't be altered as far as I'm aware. However, if you want to stick with T-Mobile they do offer a trade in on iPhones but it would mean a more expensive upgrade.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks pal....Like I said originally, I'm getting awesome speeds on non-wifi connections - YouTube streams flawlessly, pages load almost instantly. I'm starting to think that 4G vs LTE really doesn't matter much afterall ;)

Reaction score
Question if the verizon phones are locked to verizon and don't use simcards then how would you unlock a verizon phone for t-mobile

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.