Using a 42" Plasma as a primary display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.16Ghz, 1gigRAM, NVIDIA 7300GT___MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 2gigRAM, ATi X1600 256mb
I currently have a MacBook Pro and a 42" Phillips Plasma HDTV.

I went out last night and picked up a DVI to HDMI cord and hooked them up.

Right now, the HDTV is acting like a extended desktop. Fine for now.

I actually want it to act as a primary desktop so when I 'full screen' a movie or anything else...its all right there..... rather than drag a movie window to that screen and try to resize it to fit.

What do I need to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
You can actually set in the preferences for Quicktime which screen you want it to fullscreen to. As for making it the overall primary display, I assume it'd be under 'Displays' in System Preferences. Also, if you run the computer in closed-book mode, you can just use the 42" as your only, primary display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Discerptor is correct. Go to System Preferences and then Displays. Hit Detect Displays and then you should be able to change the option from extended desktop to mirror.

Then all you have to do is play the movie in full screen mode on your Macbook Pro and it'll show the same on the TV. Shut the lid and you'll be good to go (the MBP won't go to sleep when you close the lid if connected to an external display)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.