Use of Powerline Products With an Airport

B

baraf

I have been looking for a way to extend the range of the Airport signal to a Ti I have in the basement which is two floors down in a house with thick cement walls. My Airport is connected to a DSL modem. I haven't upgraded to Airport Extreme because what I've read about the Dr. Bott external antennas is not positive.

So in desperation I purchase a Speed stream Powerline Ethernet adapter and a Speed stream Powerline Access Point. I set up these products and opened the TCP/IP and accessed "Speed stream". But while I get a good strong signal I don't get any internet signal. The Speed stream software is not compatible with the Mac.

Does anyone know whether I can make the Speed stream devices work with the Mac and access to the internet? If I can't get an answer I'm going to return the devices to CompUSA so your help would be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
You shouldn't need software for this to work. From what I understand it is basically a bridge. The signal gets converted to 802.3 ( ethernet ) at the ends. You should be able to just plug an ethernet cable into it, and should be just like plugging into an ethernet jack in the wall.

Does it come with software for the clients? I would like to see what they need you to install.

This should just be a "hardware" thing.

I read up on this, and I think I read somewhere that the router and the adapter need to be on the same electric circuit. Is this true for you?

Another question for you. Why did you choose Powerline instead of Phoneline?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just read the quickstart guide. The software that they provide is just a probe to tell you what network devices are on your network. It is not a driver.

Are you using DHCP or static IP's?

You can get to the router's setup via IP address?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thing. Did you buy the Access Point or the Router? Model numbers would be cool :)

OP
B

baraf

This is in response to your posting:

You shouldn't need software for this to work. From what I understand it is basically a bridge. The signal gets converted to 802.3 ( ethernet ) at the ends. You should be able to just plug an ethernet cable into it, and should be just like plugging into an ethernet jack in the wall.

Response: I've done all that. When I access the Airport window in the Apple Menu get a strong signal but no Internet Connection.

Does it come with software for the clients? I would like to see what they need you to install.

It comes with config software but it's for Windows and I can't install it.

This should just be a "hardware" thing.

I read up on this, and I think I read somewhere that the router and the adapter need to be on the same electric circuit. Is this true for you?

I doubt that it's on the same circuit breaker but I get a strong signal in the basement from the "Speedstream" connection.

Another question for you. Why did you choose Powerline instead of Phoneline?

Powerline was featured in a Wall Street Journal article that my brother sent me so I went with Powerline. It's hard to find both ends because they aren't in stock and it looks like the prices on the units have been drastically reduced.

But why can I get a signal but not the internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is your machine set up for your default gateway?

You can see the airport, and you can see the powerlink router/access point, but just no internet?

OP
B

baraf

Correct.

I get the message "getting status" and then "status not available".

But the signal bar is very strong. So it looks like something is preventing me from accessing the internet signal.

Very frustrating.

OP
B

baraf

I tried a test.

I ran the DSL moden ethernet plug to the Powerline Ethernet adapter.

I then went down to the Powerbook to check whether I was getting the Internet signal. Once again a strong signal bar but no DSL receiption.

Either there is a general incompatability or there is some kind of config that must be done.

I had thought these products were compatible with Apple wi-fi (my Airport is the second generation model but not the Extreme). If they are incompatible I have two weeks to return them to CompUSA. I'll let everyone know because it's an interesting wireless solution to the Airport range problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So a direct connection from DSL to your machine upstairs works fine.

But when you connect the DLS to the powerlink router thing, and then to the machine down stairs nothing.

If you are getting network activity it can't be the hardware. It's gotta be something in the software.

OP
B

baraf

I checked this again. The strong status bar that I'm getting is from the access point transmitter. I unplugged the Ethernet adapter upstairs and I still had the strong status bar so I believe that the adapter is not communicating with the access point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
try using it in the same room on the same circuit to see if the hardware works.

OP
B

baraf

OK. I'll do this later and get back to you. But I may not be able to tell because the status bar shows up whenver I plug in the access point. If I get hooked up to the internet then I assume that it's a circuit issue. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you know how to ping?

If you open a shell and type something like :

ping google.com

You should get a positive response if you have internet.

If you know the ip's of other machines on your network you can ping them like :

ping 192.168.0.1

Or whatever the IP is.

OP
B

baraf

Thanks. But I know that I'm not hooked to the internet because I can't gert on when I turn off my wireless connection and try to use the Powerline stuff.

But to follow your suggestion, how do I "open a shell" and ping on a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In your applications folder, under utilities, there is a Terminal.

OP
B

baraf

Thanks. I can find it under Sherlock, but not in the folder and it won't work
when I locate it in Sherlock- gives a message like won't operate under operating system. By the way, I'm using System 9 because I can't port my Microsoft Entourage files over to System X. But don't get me wrong- I sear by Apple products!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I'm not proficient in 9 really. From my understanding there is no Terminal in 9 :( So I am at a loss at this point. I don't/haven't used 9. I will start it up and see if I can find anything for you.

OP
B

baraf

Thanks. But isn't pinging really the same thing as trying to go to a webpage and open something? I know from my experience that even when I get the status bars with the message "can't determine status" that I'm not connected to the web because I can't access anything on the web.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
if entourage is the only thing keeping you in OS 9, then maybe one of these many apps might be able to help you switch to OS X to solve your woes

OP
B

baraf

Thanks again. It seems that Entourage X won't import the E-Mail and address books from Entourage 9. I looked through your list and don't see anything that clearly will do this. So I'll stay in a world where I can use X when I need it but generally stay in 9. Now- on to my problem with Speedstream Powerline.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.