Usb Splitter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 24 inch screen, intell core 2 duo
My family is running out of usb space on our iMAC. We have 3 ipods, a printer, keyboard, and 2 mouses (one for games and one regular one) needing to use 5 usb hubs. I was wondering what i should do. Im thinking of getting a USB splitter, if so which one? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
Obviously with an imac you can't fit a USB PCI card, but for those who can that's your best bet
Failing that, get a USB hub, and when shopping your main criteria should be to get one that is powered. Having not bought one I can't recommend any on in particular. However, I'd suggest shopping around and going for main brands.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a couple powered Belkin USB 2.0 Hubs here and they work great.

OP
sf14
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the help... i think im going to get the belkin usb hub... but i was also told getting a wireless mouse and keyboard might work as well...my family is trying to cut down on wires so if this is a feasable optioin please let me know

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
thanks for the help... i think im going to get the belkin usb hub... but i was also told getting a wireless mouse and keyboard might work as well...my family is trying to cut down on wires so if this is a feasable optioin please let me know

If you go the wireless route for the KB and Mouse, since you have a 24" iMac with built in Bluetooth, go with bluetooth. That way you don't have to worry about USB dongles that come on other Wireless KB/Mouse combos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
all three i-pods can connect using the same cord, the mice (mouses?) connect via the keyboard so you should have enough connecting slots. If you do decide on a hub be sure it has its own power supply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I have the 7 port powered belkin USB hub and it's great. You can also buy multiple 7-port hubs and stack them...

OP
sf14
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
great...I think im going to go wireless and open up another two usb slots (the perfect amount) thaks for all your help

Reaction score
belkin usb hubs

hi:
i am having problems with the belkin usb hubs. this is long and sad, so i will shorten the story. the belkin technician told me that their 7 port hub and 4 port hubs are not mac compatible. when i pointed out that the outside of the package indicates compatibility with mac, he said they cannot be made responsible for error in typing! i contacted headquarters, but i am resting comfortably waiting for their answer.
in the meantime, this is what is going on:
3 different models of hubs tested in cube- 1.1 usb- imac intel 24"and imac g5.
the cube seems to recognize some of the hardware plugged in, but the rest of the computers don't see anything connected using the hub. when i go the the profiler i can't find the hub.
any ideas? help me please.
g

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.