USB not working in Parallels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
Hey,

I have Windows XP MCE running through parallels on my Macbook. I've burnt the Windows XP drivers disk and installed that, but i can't seem to get it to recignise anything through the USB. OSX is, but not Windows.

Anyone have any idea why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
When running parallels I have to "turn on" usb items to use them. Either by going to devices>USB on the top menu or buy clicking the USB icon on the bottom of the parallels window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I think Hustle is talking about BootCamp...? In which case try uninstalling and reinstalling the Apple drivers.

OP
Hustle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
No, i was on abuout Parallels. I got it working now. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
How did you get it to work? I'm having the same problem but even when i select USB devices and auto-connect or what-not it still won't work. My track pad won't work and the keyboard won't work....

I've tried all the settings allowed.... nothing helped........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Did you install parallel tools?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This may be a stupid question but...... does it come with the download of parallel trial? I noticed this "tools" in another thread..... just tried reinstalling the software but I see nothing about Parallel Tools.......

:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it comes with it. After you install XP or whatever you are using. Then run that OS. In the Parallels menu under the "Actions" tab it has an "Install Parallels Tool..." option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok....... my windows XP is already installed via bootcamp..... I installed parallels and Used the "bootcamp" option....... I cannot get windows to start up at all under OS because the little text in the window frame at the bottom that says "click in os window to capture mouse" does not work..... I click in the os window of xp and nothing happens. the mouse will not move... nor does the track pad if I remove the usb mouse..... If I try to change the usb settings...... my mouse stops working entirely, I have to shutdown then restart to get back to normal.......

What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok.......... this is as far as I can get loading windows XP........ I cannot get the mouse to move to the YES box ....... via usb OR track pad.....

So therefore, I cannot load the Tools because I am not fully logged into XP.

:eek:neye:

Here's my screenshot

Parallels Picture.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately that is the extent of my knowledge regarding your problem as I have never used Bootcamp. I went straight to Parallels with my install. However, the Parallels menu I referred to before is not in the windows OS but in the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, the only other thing I have heard was to open parallels and select making a new OS. Then select the OS you have installed already..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok...... I can give that a try...... although I think I did but how do I find the actual OS of Windows? I can navigate to the Windows HD through my mac but where would I find that particular file? Everything I attempt to select, the "select" key is grayed out...

And when I do select install parallel tools under the MacOS, it screams at me saying I'm not logged into windows..... then I can only "cancel" the action.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.16Ghz Intel Duo Core 2
Reactivate windows

I got the same message regarding the hardware change and 3 days to register. What I did was tried to activate windows again, which will fail, but at the bottom of the windows screen there will be a box "telephone" click this and it will give you long long number. Call Microsoft with this number just tell them you updated the drivers on your computer and it locked you out of windows (don't mention "mac" ) and they will give you another number which will reactivate windows.....hope this makes sense......good luck. You'll have to be sitting in front of your computer when you doing this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Activating windows wasn't my problem..... the problem lied where I could MOVE the mouse via trackpad OR usb device..... just wouldn't work!

I evidently uninstalled XP and reverted to a full Mac OSX system and then installed XP through parallels.... I'm running seamlessly now..... everything works...... no bootcamp required.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.