USB-C external drive to Thunderbolt 2 IMac.

GerOwens

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have a 2011 iMac 27”, which has a couple of Thunderbolt ports. I need to add a lot of external disk space, so I want to attach a bay. I bought apple's thunderbolt cable (A1410) and apple's thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 USB-C adapter (A1790) and tested it out on a Samsung T5 SSD drive before buying a bay and drives. The computer doesn't recognize the T5 SSD. I read where the thunderbolt to USB-C adapter works both directions, but I'm getting nothing. Any idea where i
I'm going wrong, and/or how I can solve this issue, as I'd like to spend money on a bay or drives that don't rely on using redundant ports.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi there,
I have a 2011 iMac 27”, which has a couple of Thunderbolt ports. I need to add a lot of external disk space, so I want to attach a bay. I bought apple's thunderbolt cable (A1410) and apple's thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 USB-C adapter (A1790) and tested it out on a Samsung T5 SSD drive before buying a bay and drives. The computer doesn't recognize the T5 SSD. I read where the thunderbolt to USB-C adapter works both directions, but I'm getting nothing. Any idea where i
I'm going wrong, and/or how I can solve this issue, as I'd like to spend money on a bay or drives that don't rely on using redundant ports.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) I'm in the same situation, i.e. trying to attach 2 new Crucial external SSDs via USB-C to TB 2 on my 2015 MBAir - I have been looking for a male-male adapter for several weeks w/o luck - thought that I found one on eBay but did not fit; I have a male-male TB cable so I could even get a TB 2 female end but no luck! SO, cannot help at the moment but will be anxious if a post is left suggesting a source - NOW, from your experience, will it work? Dave

OP
G

GerOwens

Reaction score
Thanks for the message Dave,

These are what I've tried so far (used together obviously :)

If anyone has solved this issue, it'd be great to hear how. It must be possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks for the message Dave,

These are what I've tried so far (used together obviously :)

If anyone has solved this issue, it'd be great to hear how. It must be possible.
Thanks - the second choice from Apple I considered but @ $50 (my 500 GB Crucial SSDs were only $60 each), just the usual 'too much' from them - plus, the SSDs do work fine w/ a USB connection (and are backing up just the Data Volume of my 'small' 120+ GB MBAir on Monterey - my 'travel' computer - at least was before COVID!). I'll be curious if others have found a cheaper adapter (and still not sure that it would work?). Dave :)

Reaction score
I previously had a 2012 MBP with a T2 port which I connected to a RAID Array. I now have a 2021 M1 MBP with T3 ports. This is what I did and it works. I have an Apple USBC/T3 to USBC adapter into which I plug an Apple USBC/T2 to FW800 adapter into which I plug a FW800 cable connected to a RAID array. This uses spinning HDs.

I've heard but can't confirm that SSDs can cause problems. I happen to have an SSD with a USB3 connector that I attach to a third-party USBC/T3 to USB3 adapter and it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Your 2011 iMac has a Thunderbolt 1 interface. You are trying to use a Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

Actually on a re-read, that adapter allows for connecting to Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 ports, but there's the rub. That Samesung SSD is USB-C and the adapter explicitly supports external Thunderbolt 3 devices. There is no mention of USB there.

"As a bidirectional adapter, it can also connect new Thunderbolt 3 devices to a Mac with a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port and macOS Sierra or later."

EDIT: I found this article on StackExchange which seems to confirm my thoughts. This is worth a read.

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score
Actually on a re-read, that adapter allows for connecting to Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 ports, but there's the rub. That Samesung SSD is USB-C and the adapter explicitly supports external Thunderbolt 3 devices. There is no mention of USB there.
I don't understand your comment, TB3 by definition uses a USB-C type connector.

But back to the OP's problem - the Samsung T5 SSD spec states that it supports USB 2 and USB 3, I don't see anything there that it also supports TB3,
The Samsung T5 SSD comes with a USB-C to USB-A cable. As a starter, I would just plug that into a USB 2.0 port on the iMac to see if the SSD is recognized.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I don't understand your comment, TB3 by definition uses a USB-C type connector.

I never said differently. Just because an adapter was found to make this all technically plug in together doesn't mean they will WORK together. And obviously they don't. Thunderbolt 3 being compatible with USB 3.1 (which is the controller that the SSD uses) doesn't mean Thunderbolt 1 is, or at least not via this adapter. You have to be careful with adapters. Trying to translate multiple interfaces doesn't always work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.