• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

USB 3.0 has gone gold

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Ars Technica reports here that USB 3.0 is now gold, with transfer speeds of up to 4.8Gbps. Once apple incorporates that into the MBP's (and maybe some mobile quadcore processors) it'll be time for me to upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be patient and read the practical vs. theory. Could be quite some time yet. And if Apple are leaving Intel as reported who knows what may happen?

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Be patient and read the practical vs. theory. Could be quite some time yet. And if Apple are leaving Intel as reported who knows what may happen?

It will prob be a few months to a year before we see any products in market, but it's still exciting. and as far as apple leaving intel is concerned, although I think its unlikely, even if it happened, that shouldn't affect apple's USB 3.0 adoption. Apple computer's had USB before apple and intel were "best buddies" in the old PPC days. The USB standard, while drafted by intel, is a free and open standard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Actually what's been reported is that Apple may be looking to build their own chipsets for their computers. It's highly unlikely this means they will be steering away from Intel cpus (though it may open up the possibility of them using AMD's cpus).

jah

Reaction score
even with usb2.0 top speeds are seldom obtained because of hardware limitations.

Reaction score
i think they are on about changing chipset providers not Processor so amd is still out of the debate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
x86 architecture in some form is here for awhile a.k.a Snow Leopard. The USB technology will filter out as it becomes available. I wonder how this will bode for Firewire? Will USB become Apple's officially supported and preferred connection method for bootable external drives? I believe it is already usable that way, but I think Firewire is still the preferred party line - I haven't checked in a while though.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
x86 architecture in some form is here for awhile a.k.a Snow Leopard. The USB technology will filter out as it becomes available. I wonder how this will bode for Firewire? Will USB become Apple's officially supported and preferred connection method for bootable external drives? I believe it is already usable that way, but I think Firewire is still the preferred party line - I haven't checked in a while though.

You can boot up from external USB drives on apple computers today. I do it all the time... Its a little slow but its usable.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The transfer speeds look attractive!!!

Yeah, as soon as I can get my hands on a computer with a quad core cpu, USB 3.0 and a SSD, I will be in Heaven.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yeah, as soon as I can get my hands on a computer with a quad core cpu, USB 3.0 and a SSD, I will be in Heaven.

Nah not really.

Thought that when the first LC came out with a hard drive, all 150MB of it with 8MB RAM . Was it fast and boy I will NEVER EVER fill all that hard drive!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.