UPS with removable power cable???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The potential problem that I see is not the Electrical Code (assuming US and Cdn are similar in that respect)

The real problem is the fact that we do not know where the OP lives, and for the record, the US and Canadian electrical codes are not always exactly the same, and for that matter they can even vary between provinces, that might apply tp some of the US States as well.

Try looking up any extension cord rules applicable to car heaters and defrosters and the differences on use between Alaska and Arizona!!! :D

- Patrick
======

OP
usagora
Reaction score
The potential problem that I see is not the Electrical Code (assuming US and Cdn are similar in that respect), but this installation note I see on every consumer-grade UPS:

If any of your devices plugged into that UPS are damaged because of power surges or such that the UPS is supposed to protect them from, any claim you want to bring forward would be denied if the manufacturer and/or their insurance company that backs up their warranty become wind that you used an extension cord to power the UPS.

Yes, I mentioned that in post 4. Unfortunately, there's no perfect solution here. I doubt the 14-gauge 10' cables I'm going to use would affect the UPS's surge protection, but a 16-gauge 50' cord might.

The real problem is the fact that we do not know where the OP lives,

US

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I actually decided to go ahead and order two 14-gauge, 15A, 10-foot extension cords,

The guage and rating of the extension cable will depend on the maximum current draw of the device and the distance.

Most stores will have such a chart, but you must allow for some safety margin as well.

Most homes use 14-gauge and 12-gauge, if the circuit breaker for that particular circuit is 15 amp, the 14-gauge, 15A, 10-foot extension cord will just be adequate, and the UPS must not draw any more current than 15 amps.

If the circuit breaker for the receptacle is rated for 20A, the extension cord will need to match the rating and would probably require a 12 gauge wire, and that includes both the ends of the extension cord as well. And don't forget to check the flammability rating of the extension cord cover. It may lower the overall rating of the extension cord.

Check the power requirements of everything and match it with the graph the store will have, or should have!!!.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We service to the component level all MacBooks, Airs and Pros. We don't do iPads and iPhones.
Earlier:
"Additionally, it would void both the warranty and connected equipment coverage on my UPS. "

Now:
"Originally Posted by ferrarr
You could ask APC if the longer cord was available, or if it would void the warranty.

I'll try that."

It looks like @krs has done the research to guide you to code for your location.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Earlier:

Now:

It looks like @krs has done the research to guide you to code for your location.

I'm not located in Canada ;) But in any case, code is not the same as warranty stipulations. As mentioned a few posts ago, I've decided to just use appropriate length/gauge extension cords, and if that voids the warranty, it's just the compromise I'll have to take as I have no other viable options.

krs

Reaction score
You never mentioned which specific UPS you have.
Do the instructions with the one you have actually tell you not to use an extension cord?
And if so, how are those instructions worded?

OP
usagora
Reaction score
You never mentioned which specific UPS you have.
Do the instructions with the one you have actually tell you not to use an extension cord?
And if so, how are those instructions worded?

1. CyberPower AVRG750U
2. Yes
3. bolded section is key
The Product must have been plugged directly into the power source and the equipment connected to the Product must be directly
connected to the Product and not “daisy-chained” together in serial fashion with any extension cords, another Product or device
similar to the Product, surge suppressor, or power tap. Any such installation voids the Limited Warranty.

I'm guessing they have to say this, because someone might use a completely inappropriate and/or damaged extension cord, and then CyberPower would have to reimburse them for something not caused by their UPS if they did not have this statement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
my understanding is that they don't want any device after the UPS connected via extension cord,

that's what ive worked out from your reply ?

OP
usagora
Reaction score
my understanding is that they don't want any device after the UPS connected via extension cord,

that's what ive worked out from your reply ?

Yes, but the first clause also states "The Product must have been plugged directly into the power source" - the "product" being the UPS and the "power source" being the wall outlet, not an extension cord.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
all I can say on this is that if you never tell them it was used in a way you will be fine,

im sure if the UPS is grounded it will also still be fine.

but if it was me id take the risk.
so its entirely up to you now if you do.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
all I can say on this is that if you never tell them it was used in a way you will be fine,

im sure if the UPS is grounded it will also still be fine.

but if it was me id take the risk.
so its entirely up to you now if you do.

Yes, I already had decided to the other day. Like I posted earlier today, I'm sure they have this clause in there because many people would use an inappropriate extension cord.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Yes, I already had decided to the other day. Like I posted earlier today, I'm sure they have this clause in there because many people would use an inappropriate extension cord.

Personally I think you’ll be fine. Heavy gauge, shortest run possible. There’s no practical difference here vs installing a new outlet, which would require extending the wiring also. The only thing I would suggest from a safety stance is to get an extension cord protector like this one for each point that you have a plug on the ground just to protect against accidental spills.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Personally I think you’ll be fine. Heavy gauge, shortest run possible. There’s no practical difference here vs installing a new outlet, which would require extending the wiring also. The only thing I would suggest from a safety stance is to get an extension cord protector like this one for each point that you have a plug on the ground just to protect against accidental spills.

Thanks for the idea. Right now the plan is to run wires through a J-channel raceway, and the UPS plug and extension cord will join just outside a gap between two raceway sections, off the ground (the raceway will be mounted to the back of my desk).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 Mini, 2020 MacBook Air
Any competent appliance repairman should be able to switch out the short cable for a longer one. It's not rocket surgery.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Any competent appliance repairman should be able to switch out the short cable for a longer one. It's not rocket surgery.

The manual also states that "modification" voids the warranty, so that still wouldn't change the situation. As stated in post 19 and reiterated later, I've already decided on using extension cords.

krs

Reaction score
I wonder what UL would have to say about that.

PS: However, I have come across info that some authorized repair centres for APC UPSs will replace the standard power cord with a 12 foot one.
Doesn't really help Jonathan, 12 feet is probably still to short and he already has a CyberPower UPS.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.