UPS with removable power cable???

Reaction score
I would like to move my desk, but this will move it too far from the nearest outlet to reach with its included, hard-wired-in power cord (I need about 15 feet, it's only 5 feet). Using extension cords is of course unsafe, so I started trying to find a UPS with a removable power cable (you know, like a classic PC tower would have) so I could simply buy a 15-foot one and be all set:

52801.jpg

Apparently a UPS with a removable cable is a rare or non-existent thing? I can't seem to easily find one. Anyone know of a UPS with a removable power cable like above?

Reaction score
I would like to move my desk, but this will move it too far from the nearest outlet to reach with its included, hard-wired-in power cord (I need about 15 feet, it's only 5 feet). Using extension cords is of course unsafe...

Just get a heavy duty extension cord which is rated for the job. The same kind that you would use with power tools, electric lawnmowers, battery chargers, etc. e.g.:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Woods-02...d-25-Foot-Extension-Cord-13-AMP-1625/14698749

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
One of these extension cables should work for you. It looks like it should be easy to find one that is the same ware as your UPS until.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Just get a heavy duty extension cord which is rated for the job. The same kind that you would use with power tools, electric lawnmowers, battery chargers, etc. e.g.:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Woods-02...d-25-Foot-Extension-Cord-13-AMP-1625/14698749

One of these extension cables should work for you. It looks like it should be easy to find one that is the same ware as your UPS until.

It is against code to use extension cords in a permanent wiring setup like this would be. Doesn't matter what the rating is. They are for temporary use only. Additionally, it would void both the warranty and connected equipment coverage on my UPS. Thus the question about a UPS with a removable power cord. Surely there must be at least one out there. Guess I'll keep looking. Just thought maybe someone here had one like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It is against code to use extension cords in a permanent wiring setup like this would be. Doesn't matter what the rating is. They are for temporary use only.

Then get a qualified electrician to add a proper, to code, electrical receptacle within normal reach of the new location.

- Patrick
======

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Then get a qualified electrician to add a proper, to code, electrical receptacle within normal reach of the new location.

- Patrick
======

Adding an outlet is not an option in this situation for various reasons. This is why I'm asking about a UPS with a detachable power cord. If the receptacle or extension cords were viable options, I would have gone that route.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It is against code to use extension cords in a permanent wiring setup like this would be. Doesn't matter what the rating is. They are for temporary use only. Additionally, it would void both the warranty and connected equipment coverage on my UPS. Thus the question about a UPS with a removable power cord. Surely there must be at least one out there. Guess I'll keep looking. Just thought maybe someone here had one like that.

I'd wager that you won't find one. Allowing for a removable power cord would in essence lead to the same code issues if one was to replace it with a longer power cord vs just using an extension cord (longer cord = increased resistance = increased heat = decreased voltage). You do not want to do this. Not with a UPS.
Problems Using Long Extension Cords

OP
usagora
Reaction score
I'd wager that you won't find one. Allowing for a removable power cord would in essence lead to the same code issues if one was to replace it with a longer power cord vs just using an extension cord (longer cord = increased resistance = increased heat = decreased voltage). You do not want to do this. Not with a UPS.
Problems Using Long Extension Cords

The cord I pictured in the OP is available in 15-foot length and is designed to be used with a computer power supply, so I'm not sure how it would be the same as using an extension cord.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The cord I pictured in the OP is available in 15-foot length and is designed to be used with a computer power supply, so I'm not sure how it would be the same as using an extension cord.

A UPS is not simply a computer power supply. Look, since you can't find a UPS with a replaceable cord, that should be a pretty big clue that there is a REASON for it. Why not leave the UPS where it is and replace the cords on your devices instead?

OP
usagora
Reaction score
A UPS is not simply a computer power supply. Look, since you can't find a UPS with a replaceable cord, that should be a pretty big clue that there is a REASON for it. Why not leave the UPS where it is and replace the cords on your devices instead?

I did read on an old forum post (not this forum) where people were talking about a company that made custom rack-mounted UPS's that had removable power cords, so I'm not so sure about that. It could be more of a design or cost thing.

There's simply too many devices and types of cords to replace and even then the UPS would have to sit on the floor in the open with a flood of cables going to it. Not exactly an elegant solution.

Guess I just can't do it then. Oh well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Adding an outlet is not an option in this situation for various reasons. This is why I'm asking about a UPS with a detachable power cord. If the receptacle or extension cords were viable options, I would have gone that route.

Do any of your local fire or electrical code inspectors not have a constructive suggestion for you?? Other than not moving your desk...??? :D

I do not know why having a receptacle added is not an option, but I gather there must be some valid reasons for your area.

- Patrick
======

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Do any of your local fire or electrical code inspectors not have a constructive suggestion for you?? Other than not moving your desk...??? :D

I do not know why having a receptacle added is not an option, but I gather there must be some valid reasons for your area.

- Patrick
======

Because the desk would be too far from a wall. It would have to be a floor-mounted outlet. I don't own the place and I doubt the landlord would want this done, and obviously I would be the one having to pay for it. Additionally, this is a basement floor (no crawlspace underneath), therefore the install would involve removing carpeting, cutting concrete, etc. Even if approved, I don't think it's worth all that cost and hassle.

I'm just going to keep everything where it is for now unless I run across a UPS with a longer cable (that I don't have to send off to have retro-fitted, lol).

OP
usagora
Reaction score
they do exist what about something like this if available in your location ?

APC Smart-UPS (750 VA) Tower UPS - New batteries - 12 Month RTB warranty 5051749242522 | eBay

Thanks. They don't seem to make that anymore (at least not for the US market?). Can't find anything similar on the company's website. I'd consider buying the one on eBay, but it says they don't post to the US. However, I did find some models on APC's website that appear to use a different kind of removable power cable, but not the type in my OP. Unfortunately I can't tell what kind it would be, so I don't know if it would be easy to buy one long-enough that would be compatible.

SPD_KPQN-A9SNZV_B_H_520x520.JPG

APC Smart-UPS 750VA LCD 120V TAA - APC USA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
You could ask APC if the longer cord was available, or if it would void the warranty.

krs

Reaction score
I checked with an expert about the Canadian Electrical Code - I assume the US one is similar, worth checking out rather than assumption
Code does not allow extension cords to be used as permanent wiring, however a UPS is not a permanent fixture as it is a portable device. I do not see any code issue here unless the extension cord becomes a tripping hazard. Permanent fixture is like fridge, washer/dryer, range etc where it is meant to stay there. For a UPS of consumer grade, as in, not in the 10kWh in range where it is mounted to a rack, then it is not a issue. Think some power bar comes with 6~12' power cord, that is pretty long too.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
I checked with an expert about the Canadian Electrical Code - I assume the US one is similar, worth checking out rather than assumption

Thanks. After much consideration, I actually decided to go ahead and order two 14-gauge, 15A, 10-foot extension cords, because there's simply no other feasible way to do this. I'm thinking that the thicker gauge combined with the short length will eliminate any potential hazard. After all, they sell these, which are basically super-short extension cords but designed to be plugged in all the time, so although my cables will be 10-feet, that's nothing compared to a 50, 100, or 200 foot extension cord.

krs

Reaction score
The potential problem that I see is not the Electrical Code (assuming US and Cdn are similar in that respect), but this installation note I see on every consumer-grade UPS:
Connect the UPS power cable directly to a wall outlet. Do not use surge protectors or extension cords.

If any of your devices plugged into that UPS are damaged because of power surges or such that the UPS is supposed to protect them from, any claim you want to bring forward would be denied if the manufacturer and/or their insurance company that backs up their warranty become wind that you used an extension cord to power the UPS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.