Uprgrade Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
Hey I just got a tray loading mac as another DV editing station. So, i need to pump this thing up to do what i want it to do. I was thinking about installing Panther, Memory, Hard Drive, DVD Burner, VRAM and i might replace the motherboard so i could get G4 upgrades. Would anyone have any experience doing any of this? Also, where would i get such things?

B

Badger

This link has good overview of the upgrades possible and links to specific products: http://lowendmac.com/imacs/tray-up.html. However, the info is a year old and some of the products have been discontinued.

One thing to consider, with all the upgrades you will still have a dated machine with several limitations. For the money you'll spend on upgrades you will come close to the cost of a new 1.25 ghz G4 eMac w/superdrive that will be a much better DV platform.
Badger

C

Chamorro

beret9987 said:
Hey I just got a tray loading mac as another DV editing station. So, i need to pump this thing up to do what i want it to do. I was thinking about installing Panther, Memory, Hard Drive, DVD Burner, VRAM and i might replace the motherboard so i could get G4 upgrades. Would anyone have any experience doing any of this? Also, where would i get such things?

Good luck on the VRAM and DVD burner - the tray-loaders won't go higher than 6mb (integrated video, not on a separate card), and won't recognize DVD-burners. You don't need to change the MB for a G4, but it'll only go about 500mHz. Last, good luck getting a replacement MB; you'll basically have to build up a brand new computer.
In short, I agree w/ Badger on this....look into getting a newer computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.