Upgrading to Yosemite seems to have added a lot of data on my harddrive

Reaction score
I did a clean install of Yosemite and restored everything from my Time Capsule. When I then tried to do a back-up again to my Time Capsule just to make sure Time Machine recognized it I get a message stating it is backing up 40GB of data. Where did this 40GB come from? I did not add any data since the upgrade so I am curious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Time machine does more than just backup your data. It doesn't just snapshot the current state of your data, but it's historical changes. So you have upgraded to a new version of OS X - Yosemite. There will be new extra files but it's not just say 10Gb worth of extra files, it might be 35Gb of changed files, and 5Gb of new files, resulting in a 40Gb change for Time Machine.

This way, when you restore, it's not just a case of being able to restore to the current most recent backup on your TM, but being able to go back in time to any point that it still covers and restore to that point, which may be as far back as prior to OS upgrades etc.

I hope this helps.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Running OS X.10.2 Yosemite on my 2012 iMac with not one iTunes and about thirty snaps in iPhoto and no movies, my installation is just on 50GB, 49.67 to be precise. So you see the 40GB is not excessive.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Once you have restored back your computer to Yosemite, try to remove the oldest time machine backups to free more room in your hard drive.

Why did you suggest that? The OP has not said anything yet that would suggest that the backup drive is almost full. The question had to do with how much new/changed data should be backed up by Time Machine after a clean OS install.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Why did you suggest that? The OP has not said anything yet that would suggest that the backup drive is almost full. The question had to do with how much new/changed data should be backed up by Time Machine after a clean OS install.

Sorry Slydude, where did that quotation come from? Is there a page I'm missing? As far as I can see there are only 4 threads in this post and non of them include your quotation.:(

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Any way apart from my confusion about Sly's thread. I was going to say to desibul that my process is a little different due to limited space on my external USB HD backup.
Usually I do not perform a Time Machine backup at all after an upgrade of OS. I prefer to wait until the new OS proves it is working to expectations. That way should I need to restore back to the previous OS my most recent TM backup will be of that OS. I do not want any conflicts to occur on restore especially since Apple decided to change the HD format in Yosemite to a Logical Partition. After a week or so with no problems I erase my USB HD and create a new Time Machine backup of the whole drive. As a further precaution I have a Carbon Copy Cloner bootable clone which I do not erase until a few months later just in case, then I perform the same operation with that. This means I can boot into my previous OS should I need to compare differences in settings or content and I can use applications that are incompatible with the new OS until I have time to replace or update them.
In this way I reduce my storage requirements and ensure a smooth transition from one OS to the next.:)

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch folks! I missed the point that the new OS is actually a net-new install on my HD and so will be the additional data that TM recognized. Thanks again!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sorry Slydude, where did that quotation come from? Is there a page I'm missing? As far as I can see there are only 4 threads in this post and non of them include your quotation.:(

The post I was responding to has since been removed. I'm debating whether to remove mine as well to avoid confusion.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slydude, no problems I was just a bit confused, thought the problem was at my end but received a PM from admin explaining the issue.
Thanks,
Rod

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.