Upgrading OSX which OSX can I install?

Reaction score
Hi to everyone, I am super new to this forum so I want to apoogise if you find the same question somewhere else in this forum as I have filed one already but not sure I did it in the right place.

Here is the question:

I have a Macbook (white) which I bought in 2009 new which specs you find below at the end of my question.
I had OSX 10.5.8 installed then bough a DVD with 10.6.3, installed and upgraded to 10.6.8
I would like to know if I can get a newer operating system installed in my Mac as I would like to use it for a little longer until I get the money to get a new one.

I would like to upgrade as some software and especially safari do not work that well anymore bisedes being not that secury for what concerns viruses etc.

So the question is: which is the latest OSX I can get to fit my Macbook? I read somewhere that I can installed Maverick but then thre were complaints about it not working properly, or better some software do not work well with Maverick installed. I use edting software like Premier pro 5 and Final cut 7 and were not affected by the upgrade from 10.5.8 to 10.6.8.

My Macbook specs:
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB52.0088.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.38f5

Thank you in advance
Alfredo

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
- This MacBook can run the latest Mac OS "Yosemite" (OS 10.10).
- Max. ram for it is 6gig. (most folks go for the 4gig upgrade since the 6gig upgrade is expensive).

I can almost guarantee you that if upgraded this computer to the latest OS (Yosemite)…the apps you mentioned (Premier pro 5 and Final cut 7) will not run without a probably expensive upgrade. And more than likely…your computer will feel slower (even with a ram upgrade).

You mentioned Mavericks. Mavericks (OS 10.9) is not currently available.

Other OS options to upgrade to are:

- 10.7 Lion
- 10.8 Mountain Lion

Both are available in the App Store for $19.99 each. But again…double check the compatibility of your apps (Premier pro 5 and Final cut 7) BEFORE upgrading the OS.:)

For ram upgrades…you can visit Crucial.com or OWC (macsales.com).

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help!
I was reserching right now and found a very useful wesite which provides up to date informations about Mac computers, from models to tec specs to price for new and second hand:

Mac Specs, Prices, Answers and Comparison @ EveryMac.com, Est. 1996
I am sure you know it already.

I found out in this website that my mac can host Yosemite as you have said but with some litmitations which I have not found out which they are.

I think I may have to stick to the OSX 10.6.8 I have now, as I am not even sure I would have the HD space to installed Yosemite, as I have 16GB left of space most of which is softweare.

I probably would have to upgrade my RAM to 4GB as the computer is starting to be slow with 2GB.

If you rekon it will be even slower, well then I may have to drink few hundres teas between tasks to kill the time, or better read a book.

Thank you very much

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...as I have 16GB left of space most of which is softweare.

Just wanted to let you know…if your hard drive only has 16 gig of free space remaining…this can lead to serious slow downs of your computer. If you let your hard drive get 100% full…you're computer will lock-up…and you won't be able to do anything.

My advice is…off-load some of that stuff ASAP that isn't used on a regular basis.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a ule of thumb always have a minimum of 20% hard drive space free for the drive to run anywhere near efficiently. 16GB would just be adequate on say a 80GB hard drive. Anything bigger and as Nick says ou are throttling it.

Reaction score
look on ifixit.com they have a tutorial for the model that can walk you through the upgrade for your hard drive and memory it's really easy on that model

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.