Upgrading OS Help!

Reaction score
I am currently running 10.4.11 on a G5 1.6 GHz Mac. I am trying to upgrade to 10.5 Leopard. I have manually backed up my machine to an external drive. When I try to boot off the Leopard disc...it boots, I'm able to select language, but then it says OS X can't be installed on this disc. My Mac is formatted as Mac OS Extended and has the current Firmware. I have run the Disc Utility from the start up disc and fixed permissions and any disc repair options and it still states that OS X can't be installed on this disc. What am I missing?

Any Help??

Thanks!
Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Where did you get your Leopard DVD? Is it an OEM version (gray label, I believe) that shipped with a Mac? If so, those are machine-specific.

OP
M
Reaction score
They are gray disc...because I can't find anywhere to purchase the Leopard OS only Snow Leopard. My non intel mac will not run Snow Leopard. Can I partition my disc with single partition...will that work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They are gray disc...because I can't find anywhere to purchase the Leopard OS only Snow Leopard. My non intel mac will not run Snow Leopard. Can I partition my disc with single partition...will that work.

Lots of places where you can purchase a retail version of Leopard. The only drawback is that the retail version of Leopard has risen in price like what Gold is doing on the open market right now. :Angry-Tongue:

I suggest you stick with Tiger or bite the bullet and purchase Leopard from Amazon, NewEgg, etc. for around $225.00 new.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
I agree with chscag. Tiger is perfectly capable and will continue to run all of the software you currently have. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

No, you can't use that disc. They gray label ones are specific to the Mac model they shipped with. It won't work on yours. At all.

The retail version of Leopard is still readily available, though chscag is right… the current price for it on Amazon is insane. You can get a better deal off eBay, but be VERY SURE you are getting the "retail" version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Hint-hint. If you absolutely must upgrade from 10.4, the tip for finding retail discs.

Look at the picture. If they have a space scene on them, they're retail. If they're gray, they're OEM for a particular Macintosh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I suggest you stick with Tiger or bite the bullet and purchase Leopard from Amazon, NewEgg, etc. for around $225.00 new.

No, no, no, no! Sorry to disagree so "loudly". You must not have seen the many posts about getting Leopard from Apple by phone order. I think the most recent one I read said for $89 US. But, you have to call. You can't order online, or find it in a store. One person said you might get a negative response (We don't have any.) but if you're really nice and plead with them, they relent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.