Upgrading my SSD

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2015 (15 inch Retina) with a 256gb SSD. I want to upgrade my SSD to a 500gb. Is it possible? I know that Apple says no but I've heard it is. Anybody have experience with this and can any one a recommend a reasonably priced new SSD?

Thank you,

Prana.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It is possible to upgrade a 2015 MacBook Pro's SSD. 2015 MacBook Pro's use a less common "blade SSD". Thus reasonably priced may not be a factor...since much fewer places sell blade SSD's for MacBook Pro's...compared to non blade SSD's that are much more common. By the way..."blade" refers to the shape of the SSD.

Here's a link to a great website that sells products for Mac's. A 480gig blade SSD for a 2015 MacBook Pro is $164.75. If this is a reasonable price for you...then problem solved...go for it.:)

SSD Upgrade for MacBook Pro Retina Display 2013-2015

As far as install procedure...check out ifixit.com.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Nick for the reply.

I'll look into that although I'm currently 'stuck' in India due to the lockdown. I checked online and the price of the blade ssd you mentioned is quite high in my native UK so I might try to look for a cheaper alternative, if that is possible to find. But thank you, I appreciate the info and reply.

yours

Prana.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I checked online and the price of the blade ssd you mentioned is quite high in my native UK so I might try to look for a cheaper alternative, if that is possible to find. But thank you, I appreciate the info and reply.

Cheaper alternatives might be difficult to find...not many places sell "blade SSD" upgrades for Apple computers. OWC (the place I linked)...is a dedicated longtime retailer for Apple product upgrades (RAM, hard drives, SSD's, batteries, etc.).

OWC does ship internationally. If you can't locate a lower cost retailer...OWC is the place to work with.:)

SSD Upgrade for MacBook Pro Retina Display 2013-2015

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.