Upgrading my Macbook Pro for DSLR Video?

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here to the forums and I need help with upgrading. I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 320GB hard drive, and 4GB of RAM. I like to take lots of pictures with a DSLR camera and edit them in Adobe Lightroom 5, which I find to be running a little bit slow. However, my main problem is when it comes to video; it takes forever. I have a very limited knowledge of computers and what makes them fast, but based on about an hour of reading, it seems like I should: Max out the RAM to 16GB, get a new 1TB hard drive, and possibly remove the Superdrive and get like a 128GB SSD in a caddy. Would these upgrades allow me to edit DSLR video easily? I really just like making videos in the 8-10 minute range, and I don't really add effects or special transitions. Just really basic clipping and sometimes I add audio. Please let me know what you guys think! And could you recommend what brand to order the various upgrades from? I heard Corsair was good for RAM, but other than that I'm clueless. Thanks a bunch!

OP
G
Reaction score
yep pretty much correct on the nose you did your research correctly good job

So do you think a SSD will be necessary? I know that they help with the launch time and responsiveness of applications, but will I notice any difference in upload time for my videos?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Need to explain what you mean...

The terms "upload" and "download" specifically imply you are either transferring data from your computer to the web (upload) or from the web to your computer (download).

Nothing you have mentioned above will have any affect on your internet access speeds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.