Upgrading my Mac Tiger OS X.5.8 to Lion

Reaction score
Hello all,
I need help, in simple language please, to upgrade my OS X.5.8 MacBook Tiger to Lion.

I have a copy of the Snow Leopard upgrade but was told in an Apple Store that I must install each upgrade that has occurred before I can install Snow Leopard followed by Lion.

I do not know what came between Tiger and Snow Leopard, nor do I know what to do after that in order to install Lion. I have 1GB memory left on the computer.

My computer is extremely slow and sluggish so is in dire need of upgrading.

Thank-you,

Bellevie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Before doing anything else…. what do you mean by "1 GB memory left"? Do you only have 1 GB of memory installed? Lion requires 2 GB at the minimum, though I wouldn't use less than 4 GB.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank-you for responding.

This is what I can make out . The About this Mac says... "Memory 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM"

I was told I have 30 GB space left on HD and 1 GB RAM. from reading further into "About this Mac "Is this of any help?

Bellevie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
Lion requires 2GB of memory minimum (see here). Even if you were to upgrade this, you may still be unable to install it since Lion has specific processor requirements. What type of processor does your Mac have (you can get this in About This Mac as well)?

Also, for the sake of clarification, do you have OS X Tiger (10.4) or Leopard (10.5)?

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank-you. I have a Mac OS X.5.8.
Processor 2.1 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

If I cannot upgrade to Lion can I upgrade to Leopard and Snow Leopard with 1GB or do I first need to get more GBs?

You all are being very helpful.

Bellevie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
You already have Leopard (10.5) so no need to upgrade to that. ;)

You only need 1GB of memory for Snow Leopard (see here). You also meet the processor requirements for Lion (I'm running Lion with the exact same processor) if you choose to go that route but remember that going this route requires that you get more memory (at least 2GB).

OP
B
Reaction score
Things are looking up. thank-you.
My computer use is very simple, email, internet , you tube itunes chats. I do NOT do graphics or anything special. But I do need to speed it up.

Do I really need Lion? Can you give me a link that will explain OS Lion and its uses?
I am closing for the night now so thanks again.

Bellevie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
Apple - OS X Lion - The world - Take that with a grain of salt though since that would be Apple's page. I'd suggest reading some reviews only because feelings seem to be mixed (at least here they are).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Things are looking up. thank-you.
My computer use is very simple, email, internet , you tube itunes chats. I do NOT do graphics or anything special. But I do need to speed it up.

Do I really need Lion? Can you give me a link that will explain OS Lion and its uses?
I am closing for the night now so thanks again.

For what you are doing, there's no pressing need to upgrade to Lion. If you want to speed things up though, you really should add more RAM. Just doubling it to 2 GB would make a huge difference, although I would shoot for 4 GB if you can afford it. Definitely install Snow Leopard in any event. It has a lot of improvements under-the-hood that are worth upgrading for.

OP
B
Reaction score
One final question, two actually, I hope. Do I need to copy my hard disc before I install Snow Leopard and how would I do that?

Thank-you both so much,
Bellevie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One final question, two actually, I hope. Do I need to copy my hard disc before I install Snow Leopard and how would I do that?

You should always have a full backup available in case something goes wrong. You should also always keep the habit of maintaining a backup of important files regardless because hard drives do crash, often without warning.

Best thing to do is get an external hard drive and use a program to clone your internal drive to it. There are two that come highly recommended: Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok, I'll get started with the backup and move onward to more GBs, then Leopard. I hope all this works!
Thank-you all again, I know I will be back with more queries.
Bellevie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.