Upgrading Iphone

Reaction score
I am unable to upgrade to the new iPhone OS because I don't have enough space on my phone (need another GB or so). I have 1000 photos in my photo stream that i could dump. Are those photos already in the Cloud? In other words, if I delete them all, are they still accessible from the cloud? Thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You don't have a computer running iTunes that you can use to do the upgrade? You might at least want to use a computer to dump the pictures just in case anyway. You should also check that within the iCloud settings you've properly enabled Photo Stream to ensure that the pictures are up there..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am unable to upgrade to the new iPhone OS because I don't have enough space on my phone (need another GB or so). I have 1000 photos in my photo stream that i could dump. Are those photos already in the Cloud? In other words, if I delete them all, are they still accessible from the cloud? Thanks.

Hello Pamela. - welcome to the forum! :)

Please provide some more specific information: 1) What model iPhone do you own; 2) What iOS is now installed; 2) Assume you want to upgrade to iOS 8.1.2; 3) Do you have an iCloud account; and 4) Is your phone currently backed up to the cloud and/or to iTunes on a computer?

Just for starters, there are two ways to upgrade to iOS 8.x: 1) OTA (Over the Air) which requires nearly 6 GB of 'free' storage; or 2) Cabled via iTunes which needs about 2 GB (since much is done on the computer's drive) (for more information check HERE1 & HERE2) - so cannot go further before some of the questions posed above are answered.

Up course to 'clear up' storage, apps (which can be re-downloaded - don't forget about their data), music, movies, & photos can be removed (thus the question about backups). If you have an iCloud account and if your have the various photo syncing options checked on your device, then your photos should be in the cloud - you just need to confirm. Of course, photos can be stored in other ways - but let me stop there, so you can respond. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.