Upgrading G5 10.4.11 to 10.6.8

Reaction score
Is it possible?

I have iMac G5

Machine Model: PowerMac 12,1

CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.1)

I read where 10.6.8 is only for Intel based Macs, not Power PC.

What is the latest and securest I can upgrade to, as today is the first I have used it since 2011.

Firefox (2.0.0.11) is slower than slow!

How and where can I do this?

I have other startup discs from a MBP 17"intel and a 27 inch intel, but I'm guessing they won't work.

Many thanks in advance.

Update: I just upgraded to FF 3.6.28 as this is the latest I think my OS will support.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
None of the 10.6 and higher discs will work. The latest OS X that can be used on G5 gear is Leopard (10.5.8 I think). Do not get the gray discs as they are machine specific and may not work with your machine. The retail disc are kind of purple/black and going for about $50.00 on eBay.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks pm-r.

I'll run the serial number and find the correct disc.

I brought the G5 back to my storage today (from the hotel room) so I wouldn't get tempted to use it since I've been w/o my own computer's internet for so long!

In the meantime, should I still avoid using the 10.4.1 OS and Firefox 3.6.28 at public Wifi spots for security purposes?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I suggest you hesitate using over the 'net period. Leopard OS X.5 has been unsupported with security updates for some years now.

C

chas_m

And our course 10.4.1, being earlier still, would e even more unsafe on the net.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
I have a number of old machines (G3, G4) running 10.4.11 or 10.5.8 as possible. If I take them on the internet, I use TenFour Fox which is a supported PPC version of Firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Our point was the operating systems themselves receive no more security updates and have not for years. be careful where you go if you must.

C

chas_m

Seriously, pinto79: we're not kidding when we say machines running systems older than 10.6.8 should not be connecting to the Internet at all. On top of it being an unsatisfying experience because so many elements of the web are now too advanced for those systems to handle, you are wide-open to many new exploits that have been developed in the interim since the older systems stopped receiving security updates.

For your own personal security and the integrity of your data, machines not capable of running 10.6.8 or later should be taken off the Internet. There's still plenty of other things that those machines are perfectly good for, but the modern web is not one of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.