Upgrading from OS X Lion 10.7.5?

Reaction score
17" late 2011 MacBookPro8,3

Just upgraded my "Failing" HDD to a 512GB SSD and thru Internet Recovery, I downloaded a clean OS X Lion 10.7.5, which came preloaded but with the inability to get the latest automatic security update, I'm looking to upgrade from Lion 10.7.5.

That said...
What are my Lion OS X 10.7.5 upgrade options?
How do I upgrade my Lion OS X 10.7.5??
Which OS would you upgrade to???

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well you can upgrade to Yosemite on your 2011 MBP. What amount of memory is installed as most of us here agree 8GB is the go for Yosemite. It is available from the App Store, a free 5.1GB download and you may like to burn an 8GB USB thumb drive with the system on before running the Installer. Lion DiskMakerX will do it for you.

Do you use an external drive for TM or cloned backups? If so suggest after making the bootable thumb drive, boot from it by holding down 'C' after the shime with the drive connected, go to Utilities and format the drive,. install, and then use Migration Assistant in utilities to back up items from the external drive.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks!

I have 4GB of memory along with the new 512GB SSD, I recently bought an external HD but still not sure how to best set it up with Time Machine and my networked Mini Sever & MBP.

What about Mountain Lion or Mavericks?

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks!

Hmmm? I have to pay $19.99 for Mountain Lion...Apparently, I can't get Mavericks from Apple but rather some sketchy means and Yosemite is the latest OS and is free. Sounds like a no brainer. I've never paid for an OS upgrade and not sure the value of doing so for Mountain Lion since it's getting old, too. Apple obviously doesn't want to distribute Mavericks...So...Yosemite for free...Right? Unless I'm missing something here...???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No. When Mavericks was available it was also free. Apple just offering the latest offering as it were! Lion and Mountain Lion were both user pays about $20-30 from memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.