Upgrading from old os x 10.4 to 10.7 what I learned

Reaction score
Ive finally gave in and have to upgrade. There are two ways to do it. One buy every retail install disc for each version and install each one. Or two: completly delete your hard drive and install from most current version disc. sounds good but if your like me and have only one computer and arent that computer literate if something goes wrong you have to bring it to someone who knows how to fix it.

I called up applecare to see how much they would charge me to do it all for me and to complain about there crappy policy about upgrading. After about 2 minutes the rep said she could sell me retail discs all the way to 10.7 for 16 bucks a piece. Id like to think my sexy voice got me the discount but probably not. Hey now I can go sell the 10.5 disc for 100 bucks on ebay!!

I put this up here to hopefully help someone as the search function did not bring me any useful posts.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
After about 2 minutes the rep said she could sell me retail discs all the way to 10.7 for 16 bucks a piece.

As far as I know...there is no OS 10.7 "disk". And if there was a "10.7 disk"...you wouldn't need OS 10.5 or 10.6 disks...all you would need is the 10.7 disk.

The easiest way to upgrade from OS 10.4 to OS 10.7 (assuming someone has a Core 2 Duo Macintosh computer)...is to buy OS 10.7 on a USB stick.:)

OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
your correct. But i was told you still have to completely delete your hard drive and boot from the usb stick and that its not 100% guaranteed that it will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
your correct. But i was told you still have to completely delete your hard drive and boot from the usb stick and that its not 100% guaranteed that it will work.

You can upgrade Tiger from the USB stick no problem, however, I prefer to do a Tiger clone to an external drive, do a clean install of Lion and then run Migration Assistant using the clone. I find this is by far the "cleanest" way to jump from Tiger to Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.16 GHz Intel Core2Duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM OS X 10.4.11 120GB Intel GMA 950 (2007)
You can upgrade Tiger from the USB stick no problem, however, I prefer to do a Tiger clone to an external drive, do a clean install of Lion and then run Migration Assistant using the clone. I find this is by far the "cleanest" way to jump from Tiger to Lion.

How would you do a proper clone?

I'm looking to move from 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

I guess I did not know this could be done. You can make a clone of your current install "Lion in my case ". Do a clean install "ML". Then boot into the clone and use migration assistant to add your files to the new install "Mountain Lion ".

I need to get a new recovery partition. This might be a way for me to do this. Who knew?

So you helped me learn as well.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.