Upgrading 27” iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hi Guys need a little advice please. I have a Mid-2011 27” imac 3.4 Intel i7 it currently has a 1TB SSD and runs on 32GB of Ram. but will not run anything more than High Sierra 10.13.6.

This has been a brilliant machine and I’m loathed to get rid. I have read that I can upgrade the GPU to run Catalina. I have sorced a Nvidia Quadro K4100M 4GB DDR5. which will mean a small modification to the machine to fit, which will give it a few more years. I have read however, there are issues with the brightness control etc if you dont flash the card proplerly. any thoughts on this????

I can find tutes on youtube on the strip down, but not on flashing the VID-Card, there are also conflicting opinions on the best options. I would greatly like to know what others think. it will cost £140 for the K4100M wich is not alot to save the machine

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This has been a brilliant machine and I’m loathed to get rid. I have read that I can upgrade the GPU to run Catalina. I have sourced a Nvidia Quadro K4100M 4GB DDR5. which will mean a small modification to the machine to fit, which will give it a few more years.
Believe it or not...I don't think I've EVER heard of someone replacing an iMac's video hardware with a non-Apple product. Lol

Have definitely heard of someone who might have a lower end model iMac (same model line release)...and getting the video card from a higher end iMac model (same model line release)...and installing the higher end video card.

But have never heard of someone taking a non-Apple video card...flashing it...and installing it in an iMac. This definitely happens often with desktop Mac Pro's...but not iMac's. Obviously it must be possible...since you're thinking of giving it a try.:)

I have read however, there are issues with the brightness control etc if you don't flash the card properly. any thoughts on this????

Can't have it all!;) Odd things like this happen sometimes when using a flashed windows video card in a Mac Pro. You got to weigh the advantages of being able to run a newer version of the macOS on your 2011 iMac...versus the disadvantages of running it with a flashed windows video card.

I hope the modifications necessary to install the windows video card aren't too drastic.

Good luck,

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
Forgive my ignorance, but are there any serious advantages for you in upgrading to Catalina? Opening up an iMac to install a "might work/might not" video card seems quite a major endeavour for what might not be that much of an improvement.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
High Sierra is 10.13 and Catalina is 10.15. Most developers are still targeting 10.10 Yosemite as the minimum version of the OS they support.

So you likely have a few more releases of macOS before that changes.

If there is an app that absolutely needs Catalina that you must have then doing the upgrade makes sense. Otherwise, I'd just stick with the current OS for a few more years and after 12-13 years, you might want to naturally upgrade anyway. The ARM-based Macs will be more prevalent and yield higher performance as well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And... upgrading to Catalina will end your ability to run 32 bit apps (if you have any). Stick with what you have and forget about trying to install a non Apple video card that may or may not work.

Intel machines may still have a few more years but Apple has put "The handwriting on the wall" with regard to anything Intel. Save your money for the newer technology.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was going to mention the part about upgrading to a newer macOS version is not always necessary (if all is well at the moment). Like Ashwin mentioned...unless there are important apps being used that NEED a macOS version newer than High Sierra...not really any rush to upgrade. Easily more years left in a 2011 iMac if no newer apps are needed.

Also...depending on what sort of modifications are necessary to get this Windows video card installed...these modifications could really hurt the resale value. Computing equipment is generally worth more in the UK than here in the US...which might make resale value still important.:)

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Believe it or not...I don't think I've EVER heard of someone replacing an iMac's video hardware with a non-Apple product. Lol

Ditto... And to gain what I wonder...???

It might be it's coup de grace and turn it into an elaborate door stop... 😏

But it actually sounds like the OPis getting involved into the iMac Hackintosh world which I know almost nothing about.

That is an nice machine and I have a similar i5 2.7Ghz Mid-2011 27” iMac 20 GB 1TB SSD that suits me just fine the way it is.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.