Upgrading 10.6.8

Reaction score
Right, so a friend of mine is trying to update his machines OS from 10.6.8 snow leopard to anything newer so it'll run League of legends with its latest patch. He has downloaded Lion OS X (10.7.4) and it tells him he needs 10.7 in order to update to 10.7.4 but my understanding was 10.6.8 could instantly update to mavericks so it should be fine to go 10.6.8 --> 10.7.4? or Does it need to be 10.6.8 --> 10.7. I ask because 10.7 is paid and he doesn't want to make unnecessary purchases.
Thank you friends!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
He must have downloaded an update from an earlier 10.7 to 10.7.4 instead of a full upgrade from something prior to 10.7

But, the essential element here is missing. What computer does he have? We need to determine if it will run anything higher than 10.6.8

Reaction score
I have a question in a similar vein. I am running 10.6.8 using Safari on a 2010 mac mini 2.7Ghz duo core Intel. Lately my browser performance has been lacking, oddly enough in the departure of tabs and windows that won't close and hang up the machine. Several sites have said I need to upgrade my Safari yet my software updates regularly and I haven't had any requests to upgrade Safari in a very long time.

Granted, I know I'm 3 generations behind on OSX, but is Safari only updating for the latest versions of OSX now? Hitherto I had not upgraded from Snow Leopard because I do not have any pressing or burning need to always be on the latest and greatest new thing. Now it is beginning to look like I may need to start thinking of stepping up.

How much can I upgrade my OSX? Will it get me a better version of Safari?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How much can I upgrade my OSX? Will it get me a better version of Safari?

All the way to Mavericks. And since Mavericks if free if you're already using Snow Leopard, why not upgrade? You may need more memory (you didn't mention how much you had in the Mini). And yes, the latest version of Safari is included. "Better" is subjective. I think it's better and faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
GenericWebUSer depends on his 'puter specs if he can upgrade to Mavericks. You have not supplied those. Lion was not a download so something does not gel. When in OS X.6.8 go to the App Store and see if Mavericks appears. If it does, proceed. You do not have to go through OS X.7 or X.8 to get to OS X.9.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.