upgrade to monterey from catalina?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
may upgrade from catalina to monterey. any reason I should not upgrade? any thing I need to be aware of before upgrading?

does everything pretty much work and look the same in the Finder? asking because My vision is not great so I don’t want any major changes to how the mac os works.

thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Monterey has been out for a while and has gotten at least 3 point releases, so it's a good upgrade.

Monterey looks similar t Catalina, so no issues there. Finder hasn't changed much for a long time, so issues there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
may upgrade from catalina to monterey. any reason I should not upgrade? any thing I need to be aware of before upgrading?

My personal opinion when doing any major MacOS update is to make sure I have a working bootable clone backup of my current boot Drive and test it just to make sure it works.

Then if there is anything major you really don't like or that messes up your current setup with the recent MacOS update, it's fairly simple to go back and get your backup clone working again as your normal Boot Drive.

In fact, I would go as far as to say make sure you have separate multiple clone recent backups of your current movable Drive.

A recent experience of mine of a few weeks ago reinforced that even having multiple clone drive volumes was barely adequate when an older Apple macOS High Sierra installer went berserk. And I am now almost back to a normal running iMac, even if it isn't the latest macOS version this old 2011 iMac can run.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.