upgrade to Mojave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
When I upgrade to Mojave from Sierra,
I would like to have my Macbook all tidied up…old and unused apps and old files not needed..deleted…… up as not sure what NEW things will be there.

I, of course, will do a TM backup.
Do I really need to do SuperDuper Backup a well?
Should I run Onyx for Sierra to clean up drive before I upgrade to Mojave? I know that I have to download a version for Mojave once I have that up and running.

lately just a few times, I get the spinning ball indicating system resources are working! not a long wait but still shows up every now and then. I know it depends
on which app is being initiated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The more backups you have the better. So yes, make a Time Machine backup and also a SuperDuper clone. That's called insurance. :) You can run OnyX later after everything is up and running okay.

Let us know how it went.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is super duper free? what all does it clone? do I need to put it on another external drive or thumb drive?

I also always drag and drop specific folders I really want to keep on to a dedicated external drive...so that is another level of security and safekeeping!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
SuperDuper! (SD!) and its main competitor, Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) are cloned Backups (BU).

A clone is an exact copy of your Mac's HD and is also bootable - meaning that you can boot your Mac from it. Even better, in the event of a Mac HD failure, you can use the bootable clone which, whilst slower than your Mac, can allow you to continue working on a project, get emails and the like.

In effect, it behaves like a standalone computer. When you get the Mac's HD replaced, you can clone back from your SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner HD to your new to the Mac and carry on as if nothing had happened.

Yes; you will need a dedicated External Hard Drive (EHD) for a cloned BU. This should have around 2 times the storage capacity of your Mac's HD. As should the the EHD you use for Time Machine.

HTH.

Ian

PS Never use Thumb Drives for TM or cloned BUs.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so I need 1 eXD for time machine and another one for Superduper cloning?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
so I need 1 eXD for time machine and another one for Superduper cloning?

Yes! An External Hard Drive (EHD) each for Time Machine and a cloned Backup.

If you were to put TM and a Cloned BU on the same EHD and it failed, as they all do eventually, you've lost everything. Lose one EHD and you have the other.

I'm sure you know this, but modern Operating Systems allow for two TM backups. I have two TM backups on two separate EHDs and another EHD dedicated to a cloned BU.

In addition, I BU my libraries (iTunes, Photos) and Documents to yet another EHD.

You cannot have too many BUs. Hard Drives fail, sometimes within days of each other.

Remember the adage: "Data is valuable and disk is cheap".

Ian

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thnx Ian for the additional info and clarification...guess two BU are good and I also do separate BU of photos...

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok all... i'm taking the bull by the horns. i'm stuck in the house for the next couple weeks I'm not supposed to go outside.
Good opportunity to get my macbook all organized, do my back ups and upgrade to Mojave. On other forums I have been looking into different web browsers, search engines and adblocks but right now that's not something I need to be concerned with.

i usually export my bookmarks and calendars when i upgrade OS ... probably not necessary as but i do it anyway.

question....is there a way to export bookmark read lists in safari?

question....should I run onyx to clean up my system before I upgrade?

Last edited:
OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
post mojave upgrade....
I purchased Rosetta Stone a couple years ago for my Mac and used a little bit. Upon deciding to upgrade to Mojave I contacted them to find out if it is compatible As it is still 32 bit. they informed me that I should just ignore the indication on my system about 64 bit software may not work and it should work just fine. They assured me it will work but if they don't I'm in a pickle.
So my question is after I upgrade to Mojave and it turns out that software won't work. I would probably want to go back to Sierra. rosetta stine is not a cheap software! they are going to online lessons!
I'll be making a time machine back up, of course, and I wonder if that would be enough to restore my Mac from Mojave back to Sierra.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Mojave still runs 32-bit apps so you should be OK there. It does throw out a warning about 32-bit software to give users a heads up so they can start thinking about whether to upgrade that software. I think the original intention was to have Mojave only support 64-bit software but that did not come until Catalina.

Since you are keeping good backups reverting from Mojave back to Sierra shouldn't be too difficult. Either of the following should get you back up and running:

1. Boot from a bootable clone of Sierra if you have one, erase the internal drive and restore from your clone to the internal drive, or
2. Restore from your Time machine backup. Just be sure to choose a date where the Time Machine backup still had Sierra on it.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thnku slydude....
that was my concern if there's an issue. Since Time Machine I do regularly and familiar with it that is the option I would use!

i know that catalina is 64bit only so at some point ill have to go thru all my apps that mayb 32 bit and get updates if i ever decide to go to catalina.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lori:

If I'm remembering correctly you use graphic software, Print Shop maybe? Anyway, if the versions you have are a bit old, it's likely they're 32 bit and updating them may be expensive.

Right now Serif Software is having a sale on all their software: Affinity Publisher, Photo, and Designer. All 64 bit and at a great price.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag.... i used to use adobe prem elements but am going to try iMovie. so that shuld not be a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'll be making a time machine back up, of course, and I wonder if that would be enough to restore my Mac from Mojave back to Sierra.

It has been mentioned and suggested elsewhere in these forums under different threads to also create a backup using Carbon Copy Cloner.app that would make your job of going backwards so much easier. And I would definitely agree with their suggestion.

Just saying...

- Patrick
======

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes thnx Patrick.... ill check it out. i vaguely remember this app but culd not find again.

tho I contacted most of my developers and they say that my software and apps I have will be compatible with mojave, so I should be OK. But certainly can't hurt to run it anyway and keep that file for future reference.

do you have a link for a safe developer site for that software.
i'm always leery downloading software online unless it's suggested by someone in this forum or it's in the App Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
do you have a link for a safe developer site for that software.

Are you referring to Carbon Copy Cloner??

If so, his site is very safe and secure and you can download his Carbon Copy Cloner application with full peace of mind from:
Mac Backup Software | Carbon Copy Cloner | Bombich Software

Oddly enough, I just checked the App Store and neither Carbon Copy Cloner nor Super Duper are listed!!! I guess Apple doesn't like either one for some strange reason, but then there are other reasons that I normally avoid the App Store now. Too many apps I've got from there have been crippled in one way or another that they fail to mention!!! That to me is about the same as downloading a hacked version of any software. So I always try and download directly from the developer's site, and they also get the full percentage for their software that way.

PS:
i know that catalina is 64bit only so at some point ill have to go thru all my apps that mayb 32 bit and get updates if i ever decide to go to catalina.
Don't forget, there's no rule saying you have to be on the "latest and greatest" macOS. Especially when it has made some drastic changes and/or it doesn't contain any new features that you really don't need or possibly can't even use. Even the Mojave OS starts the process of crippling some older software.

One of the reasons that I am generally still staying mainly with Mavericks, but some will say that's being too extreme. But hey, it works for me and I like it that way.

PPS: what part of BC do you actually live in or is that too personal a question?? I was just curious but it is a large province and covers a lot of different areas!!!

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thnx ill download it. is it free?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not free Lori, but they do have a 30 day free trial period fully functional. You could also try SuperDuper which is free with limited usage.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i thought so when i went to site.... I really don't need to pay for a software that I probably will never use. to buy it just in case it is not a serious enough reason to put money out.
i can use super Duper and just deal with whatever has to be done if I have to use that.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
any comments on this i previously posted??

i usually export my bookmarks and calendars when i upgrade OS ... probably not necessary as but i do it anyway.

question....is there a way to export bookmark read lists in safari?

question....should I run onyx to clean up my system before I upgrade?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.