Upgrade Snow Leopard to Yosemite first, then to High Sierra?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13" (early 2015) Mojave
Greetings!

I have an old MacBook Pro that was sidelined for a long while with a dead battery, but now it has a new one.

It is a 2010 MacBook Pro 7,1 running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

I need to update it, and Apple Support says I can go up to High Sierra 10.13.6 with this model.

My question is: should I update to Yosemite (or Capitan) first, then to High Sierra?

I thought that Apple Support articles online had said to update it in two steps but now I can’t find it.

Thanks!

ps: I also have a MacBook Pro (2015) that I have updated to Mojave 10.14.6 so I am familiar with the process itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
OP
GaZoom
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you sir,

In the first link (under item #1 Check Compatibility) Apple says I can upgrade to High Sierra from Mountain Lion or later.

The second link is also helpful; now I see that even though this older MBP will go up to High Sierra, not all features will be available.

I think for security reasons alone I should go to as high an OS X as possible, even if some features are not usable.

OP
GaZoom
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update:

I successfully went from Snow Leopard to Capitan after a full backup.

I did Snow Leopard's available updates first, then did the backup to an external 1T SSD drive via usb, which took forever.

The update to Capitan crawled along, but it worked fine.

The old MacBookPro seems a little slower now, but I understand from posts here that the new OS will speed up once it settles in.

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Good job! The slowness is probably Spotlight indexing the drive. If that's it, it will speed up in a day or so when the indexing is done. Indexing is in the background at low priority, so it takes a while to finish.

OP
GaZoom
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you!

Last Fall (with tools and help from ifixit) I replaced the dead battery with one from eBay. I was surprised at all the dust inside!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Yeah, they get really dusty over time. I replaced a drive on an iMac and the amount of dust inside was astounding!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.