upgrade operating system

Reaction score
I have an iMac 8,1 running Mac OS X 10.5.8 with
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I haven't upgraded anything because the computer was doing everything I needed it to do (if it isn't broken, don't fix it). However a new HP printer requires a newer operating system. Can I upgrade? If so, how?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
L
Reaction score
Oops, obviously I'm new at this . . .

Software and drivers for the HP printers listed in this document are supported in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, OS X 10.7 Lion, and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Updated HP drivers compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard are available through Apple Software Update. [Snow Leopard and Apple Software Updates: HP printer drivers, scan ICA software (using Apple Image Capture), fax drivers (where applicable) and utility are included in Snow Leopard. You do not need to reinstall or download any HP software for full print, scan, fax, and utility functionality.]

OP
L
Reaction score
THANKS to both of you!! I ordered Snow Leopard :) Not sure how I would make a "bootable thumb drive" using OS X.7 but I have the original discs . . .
I'll make sure everything is backed up in dropbox before I install Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The simplest way of making a bootable USB thumb drive is via LiondDiskMaker X:-

DiskMaker X

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.