Upgrade my mini mac dvd drive

B

beck

I want to upgrade my combo drive to a super drive, the lack of a dvd writer is hurting me! ive found this Pioneer DVR-K04 which looks like the one i want but i cant seem to find it in the uk. Is there another drive out there that i could use? i would realy like a dual layer drive.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can't upgrade the dvd drive on your own. It is very hard and will void your warranty

OP
B

beck

i fairly sure i could do it, dont realy care about the warenty, just need to find somthing to put in it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Just get an external drive

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Just get your self an external firewire DVD burner. Then you will still have your warranty. You will also be able to move your burner to other systems if you need to.

Reaction score
If you can find the right part cheap, I don't think it would be very difficult to change it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.58GHz OC'ed Mac mini
I've upgraded my drives to the Pioneer with no problems. It cost me $110 (US) for the drive. It's actually quite easy to do. The problem is now I want bezels for the old drives. I found them in the UK but it's so expensive to ship them over here.

Here's the bezel for the old drive: http://linitx.com/product_info.php?products_id=637

Anyone know where to find it in the US?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.58GHz OC'ed Mac mini
mynameis said:
What do you need those for?

So I can re-use the drives in my other devices. Without the bezel, the CD is spit out at very high rate and is flung.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
DanielNTX said:
So I can re-use the drives in my other devices. Without the bezel, the CD is spit out at very high rate and is flung.

note to self: intentionally remove the bezel from my optical drive and have a ball watching my imac shoot cd/dvds across the room...

-Chris

Reaction score
Is there link showing how to remove the original optical drive from the mac mini? Just curious....

I've done a memory upgrade, which is quite simple.

VJ

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.