Upgrade from Lion to Mavericks

Reaction score
My MacBook Air currently has OS X 10.7.5 Lion and I want to upgrade to Mavericks. Any idea where I can get hold of non-official OS X Mavericks as I know that Apple doesn't have it any more.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks but I have tried isoriver already. It didn't work. The installer test prompted that it couldn't locate the current system so it didn't proceed to installation unfortunately.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about some specs on your MacBook Air? What year and model is it? We need to see what version(s) of macOS can be installed on it.

OP
K
Reaction score
It's the original 2008. The compatibility of this machine is grey as from late 2008 El Capitan is the latest OSX it can have. I tried and this was not possible. Then I tried Yosemite but unfortunately it didn't get approved by the installer test either. One down is the Mavericks and it is within the compatibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Call Apple.

Or see if this works for your MBA, How to upgrade to OS X Yosemite - Apple Support.

Oops, your reply wasn't there when I viewed this thread. I believe you will need to call Apple to get this sorted out. Or if you know somebody with a compatible Mac or the Mavericks installer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's the original 2008. The compatibility of this machine is grey as from late 2008 El Capitan is the latest OSX it can have.

According to Apple your machine can go to 10.11.6 (El Capitan). However, from Lion (which was a pay version) the next highest was Mountain Lion, likewise a pay version. All versions after Mountain Lion are free. I think that may be your problem.

OP
K
Reaction score
I would prefer to have Mavericks as Google Chrome doesn't support Mountain Lion nor Lion any more. I use this machine as second Mac and not the main. So not a heavy duty use yet this needs to have a sound internet browser.
I did speak to apple support. They cannot provide Mavericks in any form. I thought people in this forum may have experience in installing Mavericks or obtaining it from elsewhere other than isoriver site. I could try Mountain Lion perhaps if I get no chance in obtaining Mavericks and if the system is better than Lion.

- - - Updated - - -

Many thanks for this. Yes Apple did say maybe ask someone had downloaded Mavericks at that time would have it in their Apple ID purchase history. I could ask around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He has the late model 2008 MacBook Air. It supports 10.11.6.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I would prefer to have Mavericks as Google Chrome doesn't support Mountain Lion nor Lion any more.

FWIW:
I run Google Chrome with my Mavericks OS and this is what it tells me from the About Chrome and menu icon:

About Chrome
Chrome logo
Google Chrome
Google Chrome is up to date
Version 67.0.3396.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 7.25.04 PM.png

It runs fine for my use.

- Patrick
======

OP
K
Reaction score
FWIW:
I run Google Chrome with my Mavericks OS and this is what it tells me from the About Chrome and menu icon:

View attachment 31382

Patrick,

Many thanks for this useful info. I get a warning at the time of opening Google Chrome 'Mac OS 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 are not supported by Google Chrome and so will not be updated.' (translated from Japanese)
Hence my thought 10.9 would be good.

OP
K
Reaction score
See here, Apple MacBook Air Specs (All MacBook Air Tech Specs): EveryMac.com, as the two (Original) MBA versions only support 10.7.5, but the later models support 10.11.x.[/QUOTE]

Many thanks. This link answered it all:
MacBook Air Pre-Installed Mac OS X and Windows Support: EveryMac.com

It is an vintage Mac after all.. I shall reinstall Lion and see if it will improve. I may start to use Waterfox for internet browser instead of Google Chrome, as it seems better supported by the older systems. Anyone has any experience with Waterfox? I once used it for a remote access with my work PC and this was the only browser it allowed access. No Safari no Google Chrome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FWIW:

View attachment 31382

Patrick,

Many thanks for this useful info. I get a warning at the time of opening Google Chrome 'Mac OS 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 are not supported by Google Chrome and so will not be updated.' (translated from Japanese)
Hence my thought 10.9 would be good.
you are probably using an older version of google chrome than Patrick is. Since your Mac OS X is older.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.