Upgrade advice for MacBook Pro

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well look at this, just came across this old thread and I'm pleased to say that I'm sitting here three years later on the same macBook Pro which has performed faultlessly for the past three years since doing the upgrades and I had forgotten how helpful folks had been to me with my upgrade questions.

Great to hear from you Al.:) Yes...first thing I thought when I saw that this was a discussion from 2016 was...who's waking up an old thread??;) Then I saw it was you (the original thread starter)...and thought...this might be good.

Great to hear your MacBook Pro has been running well the past 3 years with the upgrades.:)

However, the reason why I'm back here is that my Mac has suddenly and intermittently started to go to my login screen when I am in the middle of something, its not a biggie but it is a minor pain in the ***, I'm on the latest everything and cant recall if this started on the latest Mojave 10.14.5 upgrade, does anyone have any (printable) suggestions please?

This is just a guess...but could a setting have been activated where you need to login in after a period of inactivity? For example...this can happen when the "Security & Privacy" settings are set that you need to login after the screen saver kicks in or after sleep has started.

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Great to hear from you Al.:) This is just a guess...but could a setting have been activated where you need to login in after a period of inactivity? For example...this can happen when the "Security & Privacy" settings are set that you need to login after the screen saver kicks in or after sleep has started.

- Nick

Hi Nick,

No, I have checked all my security and privacy settings, there is nothing that could cause this, also it can occur several times in a few minutes or not at all for an hour, I think the only thing I can do is log the occurrences for a few days and come back here with the report, I don't like it though, I have had perfect performance since buying this laptop five years ago and I always worry that I might have an unwelcome 'visitor' of some kind.

Cheers,
Al

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is it possible a 3rd party app was installed...that might have a setting requiring these logins every so often (maybe as a security measure)?

Another thought...is this actually a login related to the Apple OS (such as a security login)...or could is be a login request from a website that might be open on a browser tab...or another open app? I know sometimes we may have 10, 20, or more browser tabs open at the same time...and maybe one of them wants some attention. Lol

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.