Updating Zoom to 5.0

Reaction score
I have a MacBook with OS 10.6.8. and was able to use Zoom until it's update this weekend to 5.0, which it won't download automatically. I now see that the update says the minimum needed is 10.7.

I had read on this Forum that 10.7 and some of the following updates were less solid than 10.6.8. Also, I am not sure that my MacBook will accept them anyway.

I would appreciate any help with the best options, or is there a way I can open the Zoom update through 'Manual Update" ?

Thanks for any help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What Macbook do you have? Don't believe all that you hear about the newer versions of macOS, millions of users upgraded and had no issues.

It's unlikely that your Macbook does't support at least El Cap.

There is NOTHING you can do to force Zoom to update on an unsupported version of macOS.

OP
P
Reaction score
What Macbook do you have? Don't believe all that you hear about the newer versions of macOS, millions of users upgraded and had no issues.

It's unlikely that your Macbook does't support at least El Cap.

There is NOTHING you can do to force Zoom to update on an unsupported version of macOS.

Thanks for your help. I have a MacBook2,1 with System 1.13f3. 10.6.8. It won't accept any software update from Apple.
I'm ignorant enough to not know what El Cap is ! I understand then that it won't accept further use of Zoom - which I had only just sorted out ! Maybe I need to invest in a new computer if there is no way to use the latest Zoom. Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Ok, that is quite an ancient machine that can go up to 10.7. But that is barely the minimum for most applications out there. You need to be 10.11 El Capitan for support for more other apps.

Assuming you've own this machine from the late 2000's, you've got a decade plus out of it and it's time to think about upgrading into a brand new machine that is 10000x better than what you have right now.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help. I will try it, but expect that I need to upgrade as Ashwin says below.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Ashwin,

Yes, you're right. I will probably try the upgrade to 10.7 if it takes it, but yes, I do need to invest in something newer. Thanks for your trouble.

Peter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If you upgrade, I think you will lose the PPC programs that run under Rosetta. Somewhere back there Apple abandoned it and only Intel programs run. Just a caution for you to check before you do the upgrade.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks so much for that. I have printed that off to work through it.

PeterB

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Jake. I will work through the checklist that Slydude has attached- thank you both.

PeterB

OP
P
Reaction score
Hello Jake,

I have just have 2 items marked Power PC:
-Welcome to Tiger
-Bluetooth Regulatory Certification.

I suspect that I can do without the 2nd of these ? Can you just help me with that please ?
I will then try to work through the rest of the items on Skydude's printout.

Thanks
PeterB1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PeterB1, sorry, but I really don't know the details. I suspect the Welcome to Tiger is just the introductory material on first boot, which clearly will be replace or erased at the upgrade. The BT regulatory certification I know nothing about at all, but I suspect is no longer needed or used in later versions. On my system, running Catalina, the only such thing is a pdf, which may well be what your system has as well. If so, it, too, will be replaced on upgrade.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@PeterB1:

Do you really need Zoom 5.0?

Going from Snow Leopard to Lion is going to change a lot of things. As already mentioned, no more PPC apps plus Lion will create a "Recovery Partition" on your MacBook's hard drive. Lion is a real "dog" and will likely slow down your old MacBook.

I can remember updating to Lion from Snow Leopard back when I had a MacBook 4,1 model which had better graphics and a better CPU than your model MacBook has. It was the worst upgrade I ever experienced in all my Mac days. Not trying to scare you away but just want to warn you about what you're getting into.

You really need to consider buying a later model Mac. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Charlie, ZOOM sent all subscribers a note that because of security upgrades, everybody had to upgrade to Zoom 5.0 by June 1. The message said, in part:
Please begin updating all your clients to Zoom 5.0 now. After May 30, 2020, all Zoom clients on older versions will receive a forced upgrade when trying to join meetings as GCM Encryption will be fully enabled across the Zoom platform.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks Jake, I didn't know that since we no longer use ZOOM. He really needs to get a later model MacBook or MacBook Pro. The model he's using is vintage 2007.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As chscag says,
Do you really need Zoom 5.0?

But it does appear as though they are forcing you out with a forced security update version.

I'm not sure what the status of Skype.app is lately, but maybe one of its older versions could be used in place???

Skype for Mac OS X

Skype old versions - Mac

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the OP is using Zoom for the kind of work from home conferencing most of us have had to use recently these older programs may not be a viable option due to needing levels of security the older apps don't support. There's also a good possibility that Zoom has to be used because that is what the folks the Op is communicating with decided to standardize on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You can also use zoom on iOS and Android devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the OP is using Zoom for the kind of work from home conferencing most of us have had to use recently

Thanks Sly, and I suspect that you are correct in your summary...

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's another upgrade got check if it is applicable:

Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.4.9 (8P4112) Maximum MacOS: X 10.7.5*

Details:
*This system can run the last version of OS X 10.7 "Lion" if upgraded to at least 2 GB of RAM. It is not supported booting into 64-bit mode when running Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard." It does not support "OpenCL" either. Please also note that OS X Lion is not capable of running Mac OS X apps originally written for the PowerPC processor as it does not support the "Rosetta" environment.

If this is the MacBook model involved:
Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.16 13" (White) Specs
MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.16 13" (White) Specs (Mid-2007, MB062LL/A, MacBook2,1, A1181, 2139): EveryMac.com

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point Bob. I didn't think of that. I've used the IOS version a few times and it seems to work well, I prefer the desktop version because of the extra screen real estate but the IOS program itself seems to work well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.