updating very oldexcel files

Reaction score
Does anyone know of of any software that will allow me to read old spreadsheet files- Flashcalc and Excel 2> This is work that goes back to the early eighties and I would hate to lose it. The files are on 1.4 meg 3.25" disc, which I can access.

Most of the files were originated on the Apple IIe and converted for use in the first two Macs.

I have access to Excell versions 4 through 12, so if I could only update the files to version 4, the rest would be easy (a lot of work,but easy) Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Try using Libre Office, a free download. I had some older AppleWorks files that I wanted to convert to Excel, and those that Numbers could not open, Libre Office could. Maybe you'll have the same luck with those old Excel files, and then be able to save them in a newer format. Once the task was done, I got rid of Libre Office. It tends to muscle in and take over as the default application when you have other apps that will open the file, even native files to those apps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.