Updating Flash

Reaction score
Tried to update using online solutions, but hangs at 30% install. Tried changing proxy settings, which was suggested as a solution and no joy. Any suggestions? Thanks.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes. That is where I was taken to do the update and so just did what was recommended and seemed to work for others- sorry, but I'm in sheep mode when out of my element. Trying to change that. Beyond having this problem, it seems like I am asked to update Flash fairly often- is this normal due to updates or possibly am I not really saving the updated version- when I check, it says it is the current version. Thanks for your help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you have the current version of Flash installed and are getting popups stating that you need to update flash, you are visiting less than reputable sites that use this sort of scam to convince you to download/install their software - which is typically going to be some piece of malware. Either ignore the popup or quit vising those sites.

You can always head into the Flash preference pane in System Preferences to check whether you have the latest version installed.

If you are using an old version of OS X, then it's possible you have the latest version of Flash that can be installed on your system and you will have to either go Flashless on sites that require a newer version, update your OS if possible, or get a computer that supports newer versions of the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Pathos, some good advice when it comes to updating Flash and Java

If you did not specifically went looking for it, don't install it !

Meaning that you should never update flash or java thru a pop-up asking you to update.
Go to the respective sites and update from there .

Cheers ... McBie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's not the case so much anymore as Adobe has a built in update mechanism for Flash. If I remember correctly, Flash now prompts you to update when one is available. I'm fairly certain that's the case as, in those brief moments when I don't use Chrome, I'm reminded to update Flash once in a blue moon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is correct vansmith provied the user selects the "Notify me to Install Updates' option and not the 'Allow Adobe to Install Updates'. Whilst they recommend this personally think the notify action is the way to go.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's not the case so much anymore as Adobe has a built in update mechanism for Flash. If I remember correctly, Flash now prompts you to update when one is available.

That's correct. I've been reminded several times in the past month to update Flash while in Safari. The update process takes you direct to the Adobe installer. Also Adobe provides the Adobe Air Installer for those apps that require it such as the Zinio Reader.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Also Adobe provides the Adobe Air Installer for those apps that require it such as the Zinio Reader.
There are desktop apps that use AIR? While AIR seems to have a foothold in the mobile market, I don't think I've ever seen a desktop product (actually shipped) that uses AIR.

M

MacInWin

That's correct. I've been reminded several times in the past month to update Flash while in Safari. The update process takes you direct to the Adobe installer. Also Adobe provides the Adobe Air Installer for those apps that require it such as the Zinio Reader.
I NEVER respond to unsolicited prompts. When I get that Flash update popup, I go to System Preferences and update from there. Sooner or later (or maybe already) some black hat will fake that popup and install malware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I NEVER respond to unsolicited prompts. When I get that Flash update popup, I go to System Preferences and update from there. Sooner or later (or maybe already) some black hat will fake that popup and install malware.

Good approach.

In fact, that pop-up has already been faked many times and used as a vehicle to offload malicious code. ( wether that code runs or not is another story )

Cheers ... McBie

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
There are desktop apps that use AIR? While AIR seems to have a foothold in the mobile market, I don't think I've ever seen a desktop product (actually shipped) that uses AIR.

Yes, vansmith, my iMac runs the AIR so that I can access and read magazines via Zinio. Zinio seems to handle all this for you.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Delete Flash - problem solved. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.